Hi,

I am new to this process and am having a hard time setting up a remote control (Spektrum DX6i) with the APM 2.5. I purchased a 3DR radio in hopes that this would act as a receiver for the remote control.

How do I go about setting up the remote control? Do I need to have the APM powered via battery or can it just be bus powered?

Can I use the 3DR radio as receiver or is there an onboard APM receiver. Anything helps thanks!

Tags: 3DR, APM, Radio, Spektrum

Views: 2684

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hello Cyril,

Welcome to the adventure! First let's clarify something, are you trying to get basic radio control functions established, I.E. Aileron, Elevator, Throttle, Rudder? Or are you trying to get the APM 'talking' to the Mission planner via the 3DR radios?

As to your second question, the APM 2.5 is typically powered by your ESC/BEC connected to OUT3 on the OUT servo rail. This will power your APM, R/C receiver, servos, and things you connect to the APM such as a GPS receiver. Make sure that the ESC/BEC has a rated output sufficient for your load.

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Kvcaner

Thanks for the quick response! I am just trying to get basic functions established, is there an onboard receiver that needs to be powered? Have not connected the batteries to the ESCs and PDB et

I think you are confused - I know I was when first starting out.

The 3DRadio is a telemetry link between the APM and your laptop.  It has nothing to do with the basic flight controls.

If you bought the Spektrum new, then there is a receiver in the box.  (My Spektrum came with an AR8000 receiver).  If you bought the Spektrum used, then you may have to buy a receiver separately.

Thanks for the clarification. Thats what I figured when I first started setting it up. I have an AR6210 reciever. I am assuming you just connect the pins on the receiver to the corresponding pins on the APM as stated here?

http://code.google.com/p/arducopter/wiki/APM2RC

This was probably one of the more confusing things for me to figure out.  But you are correct.  Connect the receiver outputs to the APM inputs as shown in the photo.  The first four are really easy, Aileron, Elevator, Throttle and Rudder.  Basic flight controls.  The next is connected to the receiver channel controlled by the three-position switch on the transmitter.  On the Spectrum this is the "Flaps" switch and it is on Channel 5.  The next is the Aux2 input.  On my Spektrum that is on Channel six and curiously connects to the Aux2 knob.  Channel six is used to dynamically tune some PID parameters, or to control a camera pitch.  (I believe that you can do both at the same time).  Channel 7 is the "Gear" switch on the Spektrum, but I think your receiver has just six channels.  The "Gear" switch is used for a lot of things.  You can program it to capture the current location of the APM, Override the Mode switch with an RTL command, or wire it to a relay to drop payload, fire weapons, hit a camera shutter, etc.

Awesome, that sounds pretty straightforward. Really appreciate it. 

Just one more question. On the Spektrum which pin is ground, the ones closest to the labels or furthest away? Just want to make sure it matches up with the APMs setup.

I had the same question when I built mine, and like you, found no documentation.  Ground is the pin closest to the label.  Fortunately the engineers who designed servos and receivers arranged the pins to minimize damage if they are plugged in backwards.

It depends on the receiver. You should see a little key on the label with a + - and pulse wave (signal) symbol (on Stephen's photo it's between the ELEV and AILE labels)

Anyone know wat to reverse on a transmitter for flying a Y6?

RSS

© 2014   Created by Chris Anderson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service