We recently purchased a pair of XBee PRO (Series 2 Mesh, S2B) and the XStreamBEE Board and have had nothing but problems.
First, the USB to FTDI cable is not recognized by any computer we have tried, in either Windows 7 or Linux. Plugging in the cable does not cause the computer to see a new device. No voltage is seen on the 5V pin on the cable, LEDs on the xbeestream adapter do not light up.
We then try to interface the adapter directly with an arduino, using the arduino as the USB to serial adapter. It works intermittently at best, but the power LED will often blink along with the TX and RX lights.
We also tried using this adapter with a series 1 point-to-point xbee. It behaved the same, but then it bricked our xbee, and now we can't even connect to it with an adapter we know is good :-(
Has anyone had similar problems with or any success with those XStreamBee boards?
XBee Pro S2B:
FTDI USB Cable:
It seems that enabling the pull up resistors stops the bee from working permanantly, despite the fact that these are indeed on sparkfun boards!
I've just spent 3 hours after enabling pull up and can't get a squeak out of either even with settings that have worked, so this looks like an unpredictable action. Both are showing data received from the serial interface, but niether transmit anything. I've tried disabling the resistors first, updating the firmware and everything else I can think of and nothing.
Well after lots of searching there is a way to unbrick your xbee, it's to
1 unplug the bee from the usb adaptor
2 plug the usb adaptor into the computer
3 start the software go to configure modem
4 tick the always update firmware box
5 CAREFULLY insert bee into usb adaptor and it updates and recovers.
Now I'm back to 2 bees talking!
For 2.4 XBEE Pro S2B on Sparkfun adaptors only.
After searching for hours and hours the soloution seems to bee :-
Always read the settings before you change something so that only the bits you want are changed.
Always start the sequence by loading the defaults into X-CTU
Always read back the settings after you change something.
1 use the config XBP24BZ7 settings both ends 1 is Coordinator AT the other is Router AT use the default baud 9600.
2 do these steps for both units
3 read back the settings so that you can see serial number high and low, write them into notepad
4 set the pan id to something you want.
5 do 3 to 4 again for second unit
6 for both set the destination high and low to the serial number high and low of the other unit.
7 now just change the baud to 57600 and remember to change pc settings to the new baud rate
If this does not work I don't know!! but it's taken a week to find this out. XBEE'S are great!!! (now).
Thanks to the people who replied.
I have a new Xbee pro adapter from Jdrones I am having trouble to work withe the Xbee pro 90 XBPO9-DP module.
I know its not the module that is the issue because I have another adapter that the module works fine with. I have tried both the baud 57600 and the 9600 but I always get the popup instruction to push the rested button. Ive tried the reset using a jumper to connect the GRD and RESET on the adapter board but nothing happens.
I have followed the instruction above here how to reset/unbrick the adapter and module to reset the firmware. Nothing works.
I am using the FDTI cable. When I plug this in I get a blue LED on right top side of the adapter that lights up which seems normal compared to my working Xbees. When I open X-CTU and click Test/Query a green LED to the top left of the adapter blinks for a few seconds and then goes solid green when the "Action Required" box pops up. That's as far as I can get it to go.
Ive tried to upload the firmware from my other Xbees, but nothing works because the X-CTU cant communicate with this adapter. Any idea why this isn't working and how to reset the adapter (not the module)? Note, this all works fine using the FTDI cable on my other two Xbees.
I see very strange problem.
When I connect my Xbee Pro S2b (version XBP24BZ7) to X-CTU select port and press test
it shows device version "smth unreadable" and when I try to read from Xbee it try to updte firmware, downloads new firmware from internet and then shows "unable to find firmware file".
I tried to set firmware manually to "XBP24BZ7 Coordinator AT" with serial baud rate 9600 (and 115200 also) and it burns the firmware successfully. Then it reads parameters and work fine. But when I disconnect usb-serial and connect it to PC again, it fails to read version and other parameters. and I need to write firmware and do the same procedure again (if I disconnect device from PC).
Xbee connected to PC with usb-serial connector:
GND-GND; VCC 3.3 - VCC 3.3; TX-TX; RX-RX.
I tried to do the same with fdrobot extension shield (set with 2 crossover jumpers) and have the same problem.