After reading about it here in the forums:
I installed an LV-MaxSonar EZ0 MB1000 sonar sensor.
It does not appear to work. When I test it, it just says 700 cm and does not change,
I have :
LV-MaxSonar EZ0 MB1000
LV-MaxSonar EZ4 MB1040
XL-MaxSonar EZ3 MB1230
Can I actually use any of these as my sonar? Im on beta 42 firmware and .73 planner.
I have searched and read about many sensors in the forums but the answer is not clear.
Any of those should work although ideally you'd use the XL-MaxSonar EZ0 MB1200 or the even better MB1260 (the 10m range one). Still, any of them should be able to return you some decent range data.
You definitely followed the instructions on this wiki page re how to wire up the sonar?
It's possible that perhaps there's an issue iwth your APM/oilpan (a soldering problem?).
Hi Randy, Yes I did follow the manual for this, I used a shielded cable and connected black to ground, red to +5 and white to AN as per the instructions. the sonar is brand new. Since I do not have either of the sonars recommended, which one would be the best to use of those I DO have? You can see this quad, recent pictures are at the bottom showing the sonar on RD13 here :
I soldered header pins on the APM, tested ok, I made a shielded cable, tested ok, I tested continuity beween pads on the APM and the Sonar, tested OK. I am out of ideas.
I should also mention that my application is for outdoor use, not indoor.
The XL-EZ3 will give you 3.7 meters according to the datasheet.
The LV-EZ0 will give you 3.8 meters according to it's datasheet.
you can forget the LV-EZ4
So a bit of a toss up...i'd go with the XL-EZ3.
that's weird it doesn't work. maybe you should just check the AN pin with a volt meter to see if it changes or not. then at least you'll know if it's the sensor or the APM that's the problem.
P.S. nice fleet of quads. don't think i've seen anybody with so many before.
Did you ever determine the cause of the "700" problem? I'm having the exact same issue. The sonar readings come out fine when attached to by Arduino Mega, but when I hook it up to the arducopter I just get constant sonar readings of 700. I've done continuity tests, etc. I am using the EZ-1 instead of the 0 and am wondering if that might be the problem...
There really shouldn't be any difference between an EZ1 and an EZ0. They're nearly identical except for the beam width.
Hi Will, no I never did, I changed to the reccomended sensor and still it did not work, but I am working on other issues for now, but when I come up with something that makes sense I will post back here.... FWIW I suspect my APM
Thanks for the quick responses Randy and Franco. Yeah, I guess the best explanation I have right now is that I might of fried a pin on the APM while soldering. If I happen across a different explanation, I'll let you know!