I've decided I would share this design and see how things go. Looking forward to input, improvements, etc., all feedback is appreciated! The files are hosted on my site, links below.
Some design parameters that led me to this:
utilize round tube, plasic bolts and lite ply
facilitate easy motor alignment
increase tube holding forces
minimize stressed parts count
create a distinct forward look
top load battery
support 28mm motors
Some quick info:
24" motor circle
10"+ prop support
.521" fiberglass tubes
DIY and HK/KK boards supported
Estimated $40 kit price
Things that still need work:
Design can use either a vertical nylon screw(pictured) or skid(in SW files). I'd like a more elegant solution.
I do not have one yet, so CAD and weight is best guess only
Unsure of crash survivability (or if I care, design aircraft to fly first, crash second)
Sensors, lights, other modules, etc. support for these will come with time
High number of tube clamp parts, build could be easier as parts are designed with a conflicting sequence.
Currently one would strap the battery to the tray, I plan to change the sides so the strap could be routed through them as well.
As pictured, it has enough, well, angst to take up flying and has not been glued yet. A couple parts have only partial tabs to allow them to be inserted into the fuse as you spread the sides apart. While not as fun to build as others I've designed, you can completely build and test fit everything. So if you run into issue, take it apart, fix, try again. With this in mind I have decided to use hot glue rather than CA or epoxy. Should slightly dampen vibrations and make it easy to take back apart later.
Solidworks 2012 (11MB)