Ok I have received a new APM2 board which came pre-soldered and pre-tested.. I built the PDB and connected everything up.. I began to go through the setup by calibrating my radio etc.. I had spun the motors up after just to test everything seemed to work..
I then got to the point in calibrating my ESC's using the auto process... After this I can't seem to get the left motor to spin(channel 2).. I moved the esc to another port to test the esc and motor and it works fine, so I am assuming that the ESC and motor are fine and properly calibrated.. I move it back to the correct port on the PDB and nothing.. I then emailed my supplier thinking it may be hardware related and he directed me to this forum for help first..
If anyone has any ideas please let me know, as I am dying to fly with this board.. I did see another person at this link http://code.google.com/p/arducopter/wiki/AC2_ESC with the exact same symptoms but did not find any info on a solution.. I have added his question below..
"Hmm. Seems there's no output on channel 2 on the APM after esc calibration (hex x setup). The motor want spinn up when testing. Switched channel 1 and 2 just in case to check motor or esc but not one of them. Channel 2 gives no output :( All the other 5 is spinning up just fine when testing..."
Wow. I checked the manual carefully again, and realized that I needed to plug the last two motors into outputs 7 and 8. Everything seems to be working correctly now.
I am not sure what you mean.. ??? Are you using a quad or hex or octo config?? I am talking about using a Quad + and the manual says the first 4 ports and that is the plug that comes with the PDB..
Sorry, I had replied from my phone and I believe I posted this in the wrong thread. My apologies.
UPDATE**** Ok so after reading all evening I guess I am not the only one with this issue.. I have not been able to determine if it is hardware or software but one thing I did find was that connecting a servo to that channel shows NO response to the throttle.. There IS however just random signals comming out that port.. When I connect the same servo to any other channel I get the expected results from the throttle input..
I am leaning toward hardware but I have been informed that there is a 2-3 week turnaround on RMA's from my vendor, so I guess I am stuck with a 250.00 lawn ornament until someone can point me to a software fix or I wait until more boards are produced.. hmmmmmm
Have you done a visual inspection of the board for any joins that have missed out on soldering? Also look for any stray solder causing shorts.
Also, have you tried the "Manual Reset After Power Up" trick - although perhaps that's now been fixed.
I have visually checked the board even though it did come soldered and it looked fine.. I also read the reset trick and have tried that many many times.. Every once in awhile it will kick in and start running maybe only for a couple of minutes and then start messing up.. I am really starting to think that it is hardware related.. My biggest issue is now I am really nervous about trusting it even if it did start to work..I have alot of money invested and don't want to 'see what happens' .. I really hope they figure out the root cause or I may have to switch to a different board manufacturer..
UPDATE********** After thinking more about Dave's comments, I pulled the board off my copter and did 2 things.. I hit the pins with a soldering gun and then I took a small flat screw driver and dragged it between all the pins on the outputs.. I don't want to speak too soon but after that the motors armed and began working properly.. I even felt confident enough to fly it (3 feet off the ground) and it has worked successfully (arming, rearming, rebooting, unplugging battery.. etc).. I will post back if I have more problems but it may have been just a bad solder.. fingers crossed as I am still a bit nervous about flying my $700.00 multicopter at any real altittude just yet..