North should be 0 degrees?

I dont think my magnetometer readings are right. On the configuratior i'm getting around -100 degrees when my quad is facing north (checked against a standard non electronic compass). When I run the compass test sketch I get values around 10 degrees. I have all the offsets at 0. Doing the CLI automatic offset calibration changes the values slightly but only by a few degrees.Possibly Relevant Details:Software: ArduPirates NGCompass: DiyDronesConfiguration: +Mag Mounted: Componets down, pins forward (soldered directly as per wiki)I assume the value at the bottom of the confugurator's artificial horizon screen should read 0 when facing north?Does anyone have any ideas on what to try? Thanks.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I think i've managed to fix the problem. I raised the magnetometer a little higher off the main board, and moved the GPS and reciever to different locations so they were furthur away from the megnetometer. The readings now seem reasonable. Thanks to everyone who relpied.
  • It should, roughly.

But there are lots of things that can skew it.

Right now, the true north (i.e. absolute magneto readings) is not really important for anything, as there's no mission planning, waypoints etc. However, if you want to, you can calculate the heading offset (NOT the magneto offset) and add it to your declination in Config.h.

This reply was deleted.

Activity