Hey guys,

I am a new member and was hoping to learn a thing to two from this forum. I have been around R/C stuff all my life and consider myself reasonably comfortable with inner working of the r/c cars, planes. This will be my first quadcopter.

Like the title says, this will be a Tarot 650mm frame, Turnigy 2838 1100kV motors, 30A hobby King Blue series ESCs, APM 2.6, Turnigy 9ch radio. It will be built to carry a 2-axis Gopro gimbal. I will post pics of the build, but still waiting for some parts. 

Here is my first question:

I did some search on the web and cannot figure out a definitive answer on how to wire the APM 2.8 board. My question is about ESCs. I have a power module with BEC to plug into the APM for power supply. I also wanted to keep the Jumper JP1 connected to make sure that the output rail gets power. And then Plugging ESCs into the output rail. So do i plug only the SIGNAL WIRE from ALL 4 ESC just for signal and CLIP the negative and positive? Or do i clip only the positive wire form the ESCs and plug the negative and signal wires into the APM?

Please advise. 

THank you

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• T3
    Check the wiki manual. It's very good in showing how everything should be setup.
    • this is from the wiki manual. 

What i don't understand is that if i clip the power leads (both ground and positive, I'm assuming) on all of the ESCs and plug in only the signal wires, how will the output rail get its power if the JP1 is removed and the power module is plugged into the PM slot. Wouldn't the JP1 be needed for continuity of the circuit to get the positive to the OUTPUT rail?3702484699?profile=original

• T3
        If the JP1 is left on. You can power the APM directly from the power distribution board (PDB) or from one the BEC off one of the ESCs or from a seperate BEC. If you use a BEC from an ESC, you will notice the ESC getting warm.
        • but if I am not using any servos, why would the OUTPUT rail need any power? I mean why would the JP1 need be in place if I'm powering form the power module? Wouldn't the signal wires exclusively be sufficient to run this?

• And if anyone has any comments or suggestions about the set up of this machine, please don't hesitate

This reply was deleted.

Activity