3691354317?profile=original

Hello 

I would like to introduce a novel VTOL/FW. It is based on decoupling the pitch of the multirotor from the pitch of the plane resulting in 'Continuous Variable Transition'.  The core concept is to allow the the multirotor to freely swivel relative to the plane in the pitch axis. By doing so we attain the following benefits:

a) eliminate actuators that pitch the rotors therefore reducing weight and failure points.

b) always in transition - or always hybrid. There is no flight mode like other VTOL's. You are flying a quad and a plane at the same time- all the time. 

c) always stable at any multirotor pitch angle.

Check out the video 

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Any updates?

• Hi Jakob,

thanks for these explanations. It's definitely an interesting approach, keep on going, and keep us updated about the flight performance of your design

Jacob Apkarian said:

Hi

I have not done those assessments yet. I intend to do so in the near future. Theoretically it should be 5-7 times more efficient than the quad - meaning that if the 'same' quad (loaded with the additional mass of the 'plane' as dead weight) were to fly the same large circular loiter pattern - say at about 40 kph, then this system would last 5-7 times longer in the air with the same power source. I still have no proof though - just simplified mathematical models. 

Right now it's flown manually. Once I have a waypoint navigation system then I can do those tests. I am using a cleanflight based controller and would rather port to something more robust first like ardupilot or px4. 

Yes - you could call it 'wing lift assisted quad' as opposed to a FW when the quad is not at 90 degrees. When the quad is pitched 90 degrees it is mostly a FW and it flies like an airplane.

Thanks for your interest.

• Hi

I have not done those assessments yet. I intend to do so in the near future. Theoretically it should be 5-7 times more efficient than the quad - meaning that if the 'same' quad (loaded with the additional mass of the 'plane' as dead weight) were to fly the same large circular loiter pattern - say at about 40 kph, then this system would last 5-7 times longer in the air with the same power source. I still have no proof though - just simplified mathematical models. 

Right now it's flown manually. Once I have a waypoint navigation system then I can do those tests. I am using a cleanflight based controller and would rather port to something more robust first like ardupilot or px4. 

Yes - you could call it 'wing lift assisted quad' as opposed to a FW when the quad is not at 90 degrees. When the quad is pitched 90 degrees it is mostly a FW and it flies like an airplane.

Thanks for your interest.

• I wonder where and how much you gain in flight performance and efficiency compared to a simple quadcopter. The flight trajectory displayed in the video seems more like a quad with a wing and not really like a FW.

This reply was deleted.

Activity