I am currently messing around with MTK GPS stuff and the binary protocol.
Assuming my APM2.0 GPS has the 1.6 loaded, i want to upgrade the GPS FW. Since the gps is directly mounted to the mainboard i don't know how to do it.
The APM wiki http://code.google.com/p/ardupilot/wiki/MediaTek gives no hints.
EDIT: SOLUTION FOUND:
I included a zip file with all the needed files and a complete guide below.
It contains basically the same files than the previous version but an extended guide and the source code.
Added German guide.
FTDI Hardwareflash on APM 2.0 (Set your FTDI to 5V, if you have one of these Breakoutboards)
1. Download the zip below to have all the files needed - and a flashguide.
2. Load MP and save all your parameters to a file (if desired).
3. Do Arduino / eeprom clear on your main CPU so that no serial traffic can disturb the process. Do not omit this step. It won't work with the arduino still talking on the serial line - i tested it. P.s. You can also use the precompiled hex from my post here: http://diydrones.ning.com/xn/detail/705844:Comment:1094234
4. Unpower APM for soldering. If FTDI connection is already established, powercycle to reset GPS to its' default state.
5. Locate the external GPS port (UART1). If you have not the right plug (like me) you have some solder pads right behind it. You will need GND/RX/TX. Look at this picture for the right connection: http://diydrones.com/forum/attachment/download?id=705844%3AUploaded...
Note: I labeled RX and TX relative to the GPS not the CPU (like printed on the PCB). I showed 3 points where you can get access to the important datalines, besides the obvious connectionport (that would be number 4:)).
6. Power APM Board, fire up the flashing soft and follow the documentation -> Point 8 in MTKFlashGuide2.pdf or point 7 in MTKFlashGuide2German.pdf. Reading the complete pdf is also ok.
7. Reload Arducopter FW on mainboard and reload your saved settings (if desired). Perhaps recheck calibrations (ACC etc.)
UPDATE 21/01/2013 - 02/03/2013
Here is a Must Try List - if you have a persisting flash problem (Thanks Anton for the idea)
- http://diydrones.ning.com/xn/detail/705844:Comment:1094071 (Thanks Anton)
- http://diydrones.ning.com/xn/detail/705844:Comment:1094290 (Thanks William Stoner)
- http://diydrones.com/xn/detail/705844:Comment:1097033 (Thanks Isaac)
- http://www.diydrones.com/xn/detail/705844:Comment:1097725 (Thanks Chris Webb // Mac running VMWare WinXP)
- http://diydrones.ning.com/xn/detail/705844:Comment:1140259 (Thanks "exaustgas" // Win serial port)
- http://diydrones.com/xn/detail/705844:Comment:1146635 (Thanks Cody // serial port in flashutil config)
- Try to rule out a driver/win firewall/administrator/viruskiller thing
Due to the outstanding work of Perecastor here: http://diydrones.ning.com/xn/detail/705844:Comment:1149155
We have a French guide now as well !!
I took the liberty to put it here as well.
Hardware - "Hack":
Use your PC - RC Transmitter Adaptercable as FTDI:
http://diydrones.com/xn/detail/705844:Comment:1252901 (Thanks Jan Boermans)
@ Rob, Ok thanks for the reply, I'll wait for your package to upgrade the GPS.
@ Rob hanging out on the internet I found this file MTK utility update 1.6 that I send you hoping for some useful information.
I updated the main post and did a zip file that contains everything you will probably need - except for the 2.9rc1 :)
Please let me know if this also works for you.
Thank you very much for testing!!
I want to post all my differences to the stock APM2.0:
- I have a minimosd connected with rx&tx to my APM2.0
- The jumper J1 is set (to power over outputline)
- I set a jumper between Pin 2&3 to enable ppsum (i also flashed with that jumper open successfully)
- MTK was initially flashed with the FTDI method
Perhaps this info helps you to think of a solution?
I flashed again only using my zip (hex/bin/exe files) from the first post. All (two) jumpers removed. Minimosd unpowered, pressed reset on minimosd to possibly disturb the flash process. I forgot to mention my FrSky D4FR is always connected (soldered) and powered by usb as well.
I flashed MTK (preloaded with 1.9) to 1.6 back to 1.9 FW. Always green donut - OK. I think it must have been the first flash from stock FW (supposed 1.6?) i did with ftdi that cleard things up and obstacles me in producing a problem. Maybe globaltop has the answer? I really don't know what to do.
Has anyone successfully followed my procedure? What's so special with my setup? 220V to the computer :) ? I am about to start to believe in ghosts.
Like Fabio i was googling around and found an updated version of mtk flash. But that is a rapidshare link so i don't know if it is legal to post here. It is called MTK_Flash_Tool_v6.1.8 .......... perhaps you could find and test it?
@ Rob hello to you to the whole community,
I have seen and downloaded the file but I think it is to upgrade the firmware of phones gsm, but instead I found this file MTK-firmware-tools site:
I think you already know.
(in the file there is also the firmware V1.6 can be useful in the event of a downgrade.)
after upgrade to GPS firmware v1.9, I can still use the firmware v2.8.1 for APM2 I have to use only the FW 2.9.1rc or higher?
Hello and thank you for your work.
Happy New Year!!!
The flashutilitiy from my zip file is exactly from the apm-wiki and is also the same used by EOS Bandi (your first link). It may also work on Phones.... but that is not it's destiny here :) .
After flashing your mtk to 1.9 you have two options:
1.Complile and use 2.9.1rc
2.Compile and use 2.8.1 with a replaced ..\ArducopterSketchbook\libraries\AP_GPS folder from the actual 2.9 branch. I included it here for your convenience.
ok received! step to flash the gps and then apm2.
I successfully updated my gps with 2bUpdateGPSBlinky.hex using your instructions. Thanks for your hard work! My setup is the same as yours except I have no JP1 installed I just power the apm2.0 board with usb only. Thanks again.