I am currently messing around with MTK GPS stuff and the binary protocol.
Assuming my APM2.0 GPS has the 1.6 loaded, i want to upgrade the GPS FW. Since the gps is directly mounted to the mainboard i don't know how to do it.
The APM wiki http://code.google.com/p/ardupilot/wiki/MediaTek gives no hints.
EDIT: SOLUTION FOUND:
I included a zip file with all the needed files and a complete guide below.
It contains basically the same files than the previous version but an extended guide and the source code.
Added German guide.
FTDI Hardwareflash on APM 2.0 (Set your FTDI to 5V, if you have one of these Breakoutboards)
1. Download the zip below to have all the files needed - and a flashguide.
2. Load MP and save all your parameters to a file (if desired).
3. Do Arduino / eeprom clear on your main CPU so that no serial traffic can disturb the process. Do not omit this step. It won't work with the arduino still talking on the serial line - i tested it. P.s. You can also use the precompiled hex from my post here: http://diydrones.ning.com/xn/detail/705844:Comment:1094234
4. Unpower APM for soldering. If FTDI connection is already established, powercycle to reset GPS to its' default state.
5. Locate the external GPS port (UART1). If you have not the right plug (like me) you have some solder pads right behind it. You will need GND/RX/TX. Look at this picture for the right connection: http://diydrones.com/forum/attachment/download?id=705844%3AUploaded...
Note: I labeled RX and TX relative to the GPS not the CPU (like printed on the PCB). I showed 3 points where you can get access to the important datalines, besides the obvious connectionport (that would be number 4:)).
6. Power APM Board, fire up the flashing soft and follow the documentation -> Point 8 in MTKFlashGuide2.pdf or point 7 in MTKFlashGuide2German.pdf. Reading the complete pdf is also ok.
7. Reload Arducopter FW on mainboard and reload your saved settings (if desired). Perhaps recheck calibrations (ACC etc.)
UPDATE 21/01/2013 - 02/03/2013
Here is a Must Try List - if you have a persisting flash problem (Thanks Anton for the idea)
- http://diydrones.ning.com/xn/detail/705844:Comment:1094071 (Thanks Anton)
- http://diydrones.ning.com/xn/detail/705844:Comment:1094290 (Thanks William Stoner)
- http://diydrones.com/xn/detail/705844:Comment:1097033 (Thanks Isaac)
- http://www.diydrones.com/xn/detail/705844:Comment:1097725 (Thanks Chris Webb // Mac running VMWare WinXP)
- http://diydrones.ning.com/xn/detail/705844:Comment:1140259 (Thanks "exaustgas" // Win serial port)
- http://diydrones.com/xn/detail/705844:Comment:1146635 (Thanks Cody // serial port in flashutil config)
- Try to rule out a driver/win firewall/administrator/viruskiller thing
Due to the outstanding work of Perecastor here: http://diydrones.ning.com/xn/detail/705844:Comment:1149155
We have a French guide now as well !!
I took the liberty to put it here as well.
I just managed to update my Mediatek GPS unit onboard a APM 2.0 using USB.
I had problems to get the flashing started, but finally managed to start the flash process by constantly pressing the F1 key while disconnecting and connecting the USB cable.
Thanks for the great tool set!