I can concur. I was the ardufan ;-).
First attempt we waited for 3D fix before arming. The wiki mentions this.
Then lifted off and flew a couple of metres and switched to RTL.The quad went left forward in the other direction from where we armed.
To make sure we turned 180 degrees and did the same test. Again it flew left forward.
Next, with MP we manualy entered the home position and redid the test. Same result. Can't figure this one out.
Please post the logs.
Very Curious as well. I have tried RTL via channel 7 a few times. In all cases waited for a blue GPS lock, armed motors an few straight ahead about 100 feet in the same direction. Hit RTL and quad did anything but fly straight back as expected. It went right one time, left, away ect.. nothing predictable. Furthermore its unpredictability was a quite a high rate of speed which was fun to wrestle with :)
I will try again as I just figured out how to get logging working and see if the results are similar. (My dataflash card was giving me a problem).
I had this happen in the very early days.
Have you verified the magnometer is working correctly.
In my case it was not and the quad just flew away.
Luckily it hit a tree before it got too far.
Also make sure you have got a solid red light on the oilpan, not just solid blue on the gps.
By the way the magnometer is my most troublesome piece of equipment.
See logs attached. Hopefully it can shed some light on the issue.
Will surely check the solid red light on the oilpan next time. That's easy.
Do you have a quick check for the magnometer? How to quickly check it?
Thanks Lloyd. I can confirm my mag is working, at least without the motors running. My problems are occurring with APM2.
I've engaged the RTL on my Hex a couple of times and watched as it took off due north and down with the RTL point set due west. I had GPS lock for nearly 2 minutes, armed and flew east and up probably 100 meters each and engaged RTL to watch it make a mad dash for some very tall trees to the north. I let it go for what seemed like a long time, just to see if it would correct and just prior to smashing into the trees I switched back to stab mode and recovered the Hex maybe 30 feet short of the tree line. I probably came down 50 meters and went north 75 meters. After this I landed, disarmed, disconnected the battery and fired it all back up and tried again, with nearly the same result.( I decided to abort the RTL much sooner on the second attempt).
I don't have a magnetometer, is one required for RTL? Are there some PID settings that will slow the pace of the mad dash of RTL so that I can do further testing at a lower risk of crash?
Same exact questions and experiences here. I have attempted to change the m/s setting in the Nav WP section on the configuration tab. That did not change the rate in which my copter decided to fly in upon engagement of RTL. I am glad I am not the only one experiencing these problems. My Loiter works great and the copter flies great... but before I attempt any autonomous missions I want RTL to work.
Based on a previous comment you made John, you are using the mag and still get the same less than optimum response to engaging RTL?
Loiter for me is kinda iffy, if I engage it, I have to watch the copter because after 45 seconds or so(which is longer than it sounds because hextime is like dog years) the hex starts some pretty erratic dashes and swirls, which I had reasoned were because it had lost heading due to lack of movement.(not saying it held perfectly still). My reasoning being that as the GPS updates fell closer together, the amount of error in the system diminished until there wasn't enough to calculate a heading.
Might be way off base, but sounds good when I say it in my head.
That sounds like PID settings to me, given my entire 1 month of experience with APM2 :) I had some less than optimal loiter tests until I got the PID dialed in. I would also have similar movement where it would seemingly loose track of loiter position and attempt fly away... I kept tweaking until it was holding a position longer and longer with less and less drift and after I got the Loiter PIDs dialed in it will loiter within 2 meters for an entire pack.
For me loiter was a lot of trial and error with a logical starting point for troubleshooting. I really don't know where to go from here with RTL as I think I have all the prerequisites for a successful loiter working.