you are using. I've seen a lot of pics but not a lot
of info what size, what manufacturer, how to
mount it, etc.

Thanks

Marius

Views: 4554

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'd suggest you forget about landing gear. To make something that doesn't break off every other landing it will add weight. Drag and weight mean less flying time. Just throw the thing and land in the grass ;) Put some smooth tape on the belly to protect it and so it will glide better, then you might even be able to lift off the grass or snow.

Thanks for your comments. You are making a good point.

I don't have a skywalker yet, but considering getting it. From what I read, with a lot of gear loaded, it can become quite heavy. Launching a brick is no fun either. I'd rather have it on wheels ;)

I agree with you Marius, Hand launching the skywalker with 2 batteries, 2 cameras, video tx, etc will make it hard to hand launch. The landing gear concept makes so much sense...but it does add drag, and it will make for shorter flight times...whatever you decide, here is a link to a company who is selling gear that they say works well.... let me know if you try it out. http://www.rc4y.com/rc4ylanding-gears-specila-for-skywalker-p-109.html

HI,

I am assembling a fiberglass skywalker now and am planning on using these. I will make a small plywood mount plate with some balsa contoured filler pieces. Hopefully this thing will be nice and soft. If it is too stiff I plan on making a couple short cuts up near the top to soften it up. Also give it a shear point.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXNM65&P=0

Anyone tried these?

Thanks for the links guys. I will look them up.

With such a heavy payload it is better to have a landing gear. I will be getting a sky walker soon and will include the belly pan so that I could install a landing gear. I had a Radian Pro which I made a landing gear for and will use the same with some mods for the SW.

the gear I made was mainly to mount my Go Pro Hero 2 onto.

This will give you an idea for the guys who did not get the belly pan. I carved a block of balsa to match the Radian Pros contour and used rubber bands to hold it in place, it worked like a charm.

Landing Gear

I got the landing gear I described above from Tower yesterday. They are too stiff. I am just going to try the wire tricycle gear that came with the fiberglass plane but use some larger wheels. Should work.

I fly off grass that is kept fairly short. Smooth and no rocks.

I've flown a lot of "chuckers" and I would only recommend the skid.  You will get a lot of weakness in the area where you mount the landing gear.  The ply piece is not big enough to allow for long-term use on anything but the best runway.  Bumps and rough ground will just kill the plane.  On the fiberglass model it will eventually fail too.  You need to reinforce the fiberglass, which can be done and still keep it light, but the gear itself is just not worth it if you fly and land in tall grass or rough areas. 

Of the gear suggestions, the one that would probably hold up the best and not stress the platform is the one for the Radian w/rubber bands.

If you need assistance in the launch, set up a bungee or catapult.

Just my 2 cents...

I fly mine in the grass when it grows.

The wheels might bump on a hard landing and tear off some foam structure on the frame depending on how it weighs.

Yes you need short grass and no rocks.

Hi there Marius.

There is a guy on youtube that flies one especially for FPV that uses landing gear and tail steer.

Here's the link to a youtube video of his ( there are lots of really great videos actually ) - very helpful......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcXtOk5QEbY&feature=related

I've actually e-mailed him on  few occasions...hes actually a really nice bloke and really knows his stuff. - I'm sure he can help in the landing gear department. - I suggest you simply E-mail him and ask

I Just a thought!....ever considered landing gear that simply ( using a servo ) rotates up ? - ( in other words...when your off the ground, the gear would simply swings up 45 degrees towards the rear of the aircraft and sit neatly either side of the  fuse which would reduce the drag quite a bit ( as small micro servo with metal gears would work pretty well I'm guessing ) - and on approach,  simply flip a switch on your receiver, and the gear rotates forward and your ready to land..

Your thoughts?

Cheers, and good flying -

Rick.

Rick

thanks for your posting. Indeed it is a pretty cool video.

After long consideration I decided not to go with Skywalker. Even though the price was pretty good the shipping costs from China  looked a little bit too much. Considering that I would soon need spare parts (I'm quite new to airplanes) I would be blowing a lot of money on just shipping itself.

I'm in process of building Telemaster 40 (Deluxe) laser cut kit from Hobby-Lobby that I'm hoping to convert into a drone eventually. It's going slow but I am enjoying the build process a lot!

Cheers!

Marius

RSS

© 2014   Created by Chris Anderson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service