Stock 3DR Quad + 850k Motors + 10x45 props

I'm flying a fairly stock 3DR quad, I had my first tree encounter. Too much time in simulator, and didn't uncheck the Simple mode checkbox so I I lost orientation... punched RTL but she clipped a tree branch on her way home.

Anyways, it appears the stock 10x47 props that come with the quad kit are extremely hard to find, don't come in many colors, and are expensive.... so I switched to 10x 45's now I've got some awesome bright green props on the front of my coptor BUT ever since making the switch LOITER AND ALT HOLD modes haven't worked at all.  With the 47s both modes were working perfectly but now when I switch to LOITER the quad descends to the ground... I get it, the motors need to spin faster with the new props to keep altitude but I'm not sure what to look at to reprogram or correct this for the new props... Throttle PID?

I've yet to tweak any PID settings but I suspect that's where I need to go.  I've read the great guide on tuning but am a little leary about holding the quad and tuning at the same time..  Does anyone have advice on what to tweak for this prop change?

Thanks!

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• T3

I assume that you have all 4 props the same and that you are not using 47 and 45's together?  Can you hold altitude in stabilize mode?  If yes, then the Quad should work in ALT HOLD and LOITER.  Work on getting ALT HOLD to work first before you try LOITER.  Do you have sonar on you Quad?  If yes, try ALT HOLD at 10 feet and work the PIDS little by little till you get what you need.  If you plan on tuning your Quad by holding it in your hand, get someone to help, wear gloves, motorcycle helmet and thick long sleeve shirt.  Remember to be safe.

Good Luck,
    Richard

This reply was deleted.

Activity