Target Tracking within 360 Video

Hi all,

I'm working on a target tracking within video footage to provide;

A: Stabilized Footage and 

B: Maintain a designated target in a cropped frame.

I currently having a working prototype which take either a wide angle or a 360 Video capture as an input. The output product is a tracked human target or activity smoothly maintained within cropped boundaries for a close-up output video. 

I believe there may be an application in UAV Video capture using any 360 Camera.

I know there are some projects out there which perform tracking and feedback into a controller or gimbal, but this project could eliminate the gimbal altogether. By mounting a 360 cam, your raw footage would contain all information, which could then be post-processed or fed in real time to this application. Then your output would always maintain  a static or controlled aspect, or a tracked subject within a cropped frame.

Does anyone within this community have any comments or desire for this type of application?

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi,

Can you tell us more about your project, thanks.
    • So we have executed a series of experiments related to object tracking and human tracking through the lens of a 360 degree camera. By locating and centering the subject within the wide 360 frame, we've been able to export a cropped frame at a standard aspect ratio relative to the original resolution of the capture. This has so far been applied with a ground based/stationary camera, with reasonable results after smoothing.

(See here for example http://www.motiontrack.me/video/motion-track-action-sports/ )

We've also been able to determine and export a relative angle to subject, and feed that back into a gimbal controller. The idea being you could potentially use the 360 camera as the sole capture device, or use it purely for subject acquisition and tracking to aim a better quality, gimbal mounted camera.

Acquiring and tracking from a dynamic platform is a much, much harder problem. Doing this and determining an approximate depth to subject for zoom control is even harder. But not impossible. So before we go committing time and resources, it would be nice to know if there is actually any demand for something like this. Hence our post to the community.

• Motion Tracking in Video

Apache2 Ubuntu Default Page: It works
This reply was deleted.

Activity