I got a ublox 5 GPS unit the other week and I've been trying to get it work for days, but to no avail.
I was wondering if anyone could give me some tips or advice on what I am doing wrong.
I am using the Sparkfun breakout (GS407) to connect the u-blox to a FTDI cable (Thanks MarkH). and powering it with clean 3.3v.
I used the u-center software to connect to the device. I get the following messages from the GPS unit (all the time):
But this is all I get.
These are the things I have tried:
- Flashed the module with the latest firmware
- Powered the 3.3v from a Fez Panda (micro controller)
- Powered the 3.3v from a 3.3v voltage regulator
- Added all the filtering capacitors they suggested
- Reset the module back to default settings
- Stood outside with it for 20 mins (clear sky)
- Connected the BATT pin to 3.3v
- Check the current it is using: 70mA to 110mA
- Confirmed all GND points are grounded
- I updated the almanac for the next few days
I have heard that the module requires a good clean 3.3v, so I tried all the options I could. I noticed a voltage drop of 3.1v across the module when it is running, even though I supplied it with 3.3v - Not sure if this helps.
I haven't powered it with anything but 3.3v, so I'm quite certain I haven't fried it.
From what I can see, the Antenna is securely on with 4 big blobs of solder.
I tried moving it around when I was outside, but still no satelittes.
I tried another GPS module I had, and satellites popped up within a few seconds.
- Perhaps the connection to the antenna is faulty - but I can't check that as it is all enclosed.
- Perhaps I'm still not getting the voltage right - It's strange that the voltage drop is only 3.1v instead of 3.3.
- Perhaps it's got something to do with me being in the southern hemisphere, whereas the module comes from the North.
Any suggestions would be really appreciated. Thanks.