Ultimate Auto Mode Fail Safe Design: Logic inside PixHawk

I have been looking at Fail Safe Modes in Pixhawk/Mission Planner and I think the way the logic operates may not be the perfect solution, unless I am just lacking knowledge in Mission Planner.

Below is my thought on how Fail Safe should work in PixHawk or Ardu.

If someone has experience working on this in the past, I would love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks

Views: 576

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

there are a lot of variables at play here guys, I had this GPS glitch scenario too during AUTO mission and my quad landed on top of some trees as a result....BUT I wasnt supposed to be flying outside visual and RC range neither, then this wouldnt have happened....

you can only do so much about battery failsafe to return home, how about if you have a head wind on the return?? there goes all your calculation for remaining power right out the window.

what we need is what real aircraft have, and is not GPS, is INS (Inertial Nav or Dead Reckoning as said before), aircraft rules dont allow primary GPS navigation only.

I do use dual-GPS setup now on my bird, and I have to say flying daily now over a year have never had a GPS incident, the Arducopter redundant GPS feature works really nice and its been reliable to me.

I think the bottom line is to not have the craft lose track of  its position, rather than figure out remaining power and all that

Ivan,

Thanks for joining the conversation. You are raising valid points, but besides head wind I can throw in all kinds of other scenarios which a new fail safe may not be able to compensate for either. There are too many variables therefore all we are doing is figuring out how we can further minimize the risks and make current fail safe system stronger than before.

We all are simply brain storming here based on people experiences and wish list of features they would like to see in the future.

There is an aircraft style Inertial navigation device available, but the question is someone willing to cough up $800+ dollars. for it. LINK

So at least from my side I am taking the baby step approach. Evaluate what we got in hands, explore the possibilities of what else can be accomplished out of PixHawk without any serious hardware devices being added to it and than kind of go from there.

I am also looking at Drones from commercial point of view, out of line of sight, and autonomous missions.

this discussion starts to have some entertainment value, ArduPilot already have INS, I would suggest that participants check out all the features/possible config that is already there, then maybe work on some specific solution for a specific scenario that is *not* already there.

There is an advanced failsafe system in the ArduPilot Fixedwing branch.

http://ardupilot.org/plane/docs/advanced-failsafe-configuration.html

Looks like this provides quite a bit of additional capability.

Thanks David for pointing out where to look up the info. I will check it out. Interesting set of new features to explore when it comes to fail safe.

DavidJames said:

There is an advanced failsafe system in the ArduPilot Fixedwing branch.

http://ardupilot.org/plane/docs/advanced-failsafe-configuration.html

Looks like this provides quite a bit of additional capability.

David,

I read up on the Advanced fail Safe features. Quite a new set of parameters to play with. Exciting!

I am going to play around with these parameters in simulation mode and see what we learn so stand by.

Feel free to share your findings as well.

so why are these advanced features only on Ardupilot and not Arducopter? do they apply for AC was well or no?

I also seen some of the newer GPS (M8N) have built-in EKF or INS, specially the RTK ones, has anyone looked at those?

I don't believe these features can not be used on fixed wing aircraft if that's what you mean.

Are you referring Ublox GPS here?

yes uBlox GPS units.

so the advance failsafe features can only be used on plane right? not multirotor?

Asim said:

I don't believe these features can not be used on fixed wing aircraft if that's what you mean.

Are you referring Ublox GPS here?

AFS is on both, again; for a thread that is suscussing improvements, everybody should first be familiar with documentation and existing features: http://ardupilot.org/ardupilot/

Ivan R said:

so why are these advanced features only on Ardupilot and not Arducopter? do they apply for AC was well or no?

Ivan,

The Advance Fail safe features can be used on both Fixed wing as well as Multi copters.

If you review the feature at this link, you can see the available additional parameters are not specific to any device type.

LINK
  Advanced fail Safe Parameters.However, none of these features truly address some of the ideas I have brought up from the beginning.

As far as UBlox GPS goes, I am personally not clear on the so called 16 dollar GPS you get from China called Ublox  Neo M8N

Vs. the 70 pounds Ublox GPS I ordered and I just got it yesterday. LINK

Once I evaluate them I will let you know if I see any key differences. The one I know is called "dead reckoning" Check previous posts for details around this topic.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2017   Created by Chris Anderson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service