Hello,

I have purchased a separate BEC to provide the 5V supply for the processor board and the Radio receiver, rather than use one of the four that come with the motor control ESCs. The reason for this is the uncertainty that still seems to surround the random blowing up of mux ports, which seems to be related to possible misbehaviour of these BECs when connecting and disonnecting USB power when a LIPO is connected.

Please can you advise me whether I have the changes correct here:

1. dont connect the 5V wire from any of the ESCs

2. Connect the inputs of the separate BEC to the LIPO supply somewhere convenient on the power distribution board.

3.Connect the 5V output of the separate BEC to the 5V rail of the right-angled radio receiver connectors

Should I put a shottky diode in series with the 5V BEC output so that the USB supply isn't trying to drive the BEC when the LIPO is disconnected?

Thanks for your help. Awesome project guys.

Rob

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• i think that the newer version of APM is protecting USB and preventing it to feed the RC rails.

the proof is that my receiver is connected to the APM rail, but when plugging the USB, it won't power the receiver.

• Developer

Sure you can use external BEC's. We are using external BEC's on all our ArduCopters. If you don't use any Power Distribution PCB, easiest way to separate BEC powers coming form ESC's is just by cutting center wire (usually white) and then just hook up your BEC to APM RC rails.

If you do use ArduCopter PDB, then just leave out that power connection (red/black) cable and use output cable from your BEC

• I use a Castle BEC for my projects wired as you listed.  However, I do not use a power distro board since I run different frames - I plug the BEC power into one of the free ports on the APM.  Have not had anything fry (yet).  I do not run a diode, but I do have the motors spin up when initially connecting via USB to CLI.  Can not duplicate if I connect to APM via XBee so diode might not be a bad idea.  I have only been using ArduPirates code and have not had a chance to try AC2.
  • This is what I have done - but did not try the diode - that sounds like a good idea.

But I am still confused about the warnings that say to have battery plugged in first then USB so as not to burn the ardu outputs.

Also I have burned the right front motor (twice) using this set up with battery plugged in then pluging in USB. once was in CLI mode, the other was in regular flight mode unsing Pid configurator. shortly after the USB was plugged in that motor strated rocking back and forth rapidly and blew before I had time to unplug the battery!!!

My question is with the red ESC wires cut can you run the board on USB power alone? or is the advice about plugging in battery first good for the outputs but bad for the motors?. My motor wires are soldered so disconnecting them is not a viable option

Al

This reply was deleted.

Activity