What can I do with ONLY the APM2.5+?

Hey all. So I've got a very basic understanding of arduinos and have read through all of the getting started/"Get it!" info a few times now. I'm in college and don't have a lot of discretionary income. I do however have enough to buy the APM2.5+. My question is would it be worth it for me to go ahead and buy just the APM2.5+ and get familiar with the firmware, simulation(have to buy x-plane too, I suppose), etc? Or should I wait and save until I can afford to put together a rudimentary, but complete, system?

Oh, and one more quick question: what can you tell me about the PX4 FPM? Does that fill the same role as an APM and if so, what are their pros/cons?

Thanks! (and sorry if I missed another thread that says exactly what I'm asking.)

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Thanks for the fast reply!

I have roughly 230 bucks to spend right now(a bit more really, but I do have to buy stuff for Christmas. Dang friends...). I literally have nothing for a UAV yet.

So I guess to simplify what I'm asking: is there any value in having the APM2.5 for the sake of familiarizing myself with the software and running simulations(once I get x-plane) or am I better off waiting until I can - as you said - have something to put it in?

• Do you mean you can afford the APM2.5 but not an aircraft?  The answer depends strongly on if you actually have something to put it in.

If you do have something to put it in, you can do a lot!

This reply was deleted.

Activity