Looks like this flight controller uses the same components, and it's just $34

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__31138__Multiwii_and_Mega...

Both have:

Atmel's ATMEGA2560

MPU6050 6 axis gyro
HMC5883L 3-axis digital magnetometer
MS5611-01BA01 Barometric pressure sensor

Can someone explain to me the price difference? Even the software was ported so you can have same version on both boards. Why should I pay $180 for APM 2.5?

TIA

Views: 18220

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Couldn't agree more, fairness and equity went out the window a long time ago.

Big business these days is about winning at all costs in the short term for the Company and the investors.

The CEOs who will vacate every other other principal to the short term advantage of the stockholders are the ones who succeed, the others get replaced.

Of course for the long term it really sucks for everybody.

And our economy is in an absolute shambles because of it.

The fact is this open source, open everything World we live in is an altruistic blast of fresh air in a really dismal situation and DIYDrones and 3DRobotics really serve our world way more than those other Companies.

Really, in a world that worships sharks, they are truly the good guys.

As I said, my CEO analogy was a generalization.  Many of the base salaries of CEO are fair.  It's the bonuses that are outrageous.  For full disclosure,I don't think corporations of any kind should exist.  In the developer sense, I was trying to say that some developers are not as important as others, some code is more important than other code.  Your engineer analogy would have been better, I just didn't think of it at the time.

Yes, anybody that wants to be rich and can find the right product or has a special talent can be.  You don't have to be a multi-national company to get rich.  It's harder now with all the government regulation, but it is still easily doable.  Heck, rich is an relative term.  Rich to me is having a family that I love and they love me.  I can do and have done that with very little money.  I've also done it with upper-middle class income.  I've been happy and sad at both levels.  I've also never been jealous or envious of those with more.  I've never been jealous or envious of those making money off my labor. Yes, money is nice but it shouldn't be the only measure of rich.  To me, being a billionaire is disgusting but it is none of my business as long as they are not harming me.

Gary, your statements at the bottom, that is EXACTLY why I do what I do.  Trust me, it's not worth it to me economically.  I'm doing this for fun, and I like to hope I'm doing a small part in making the world a better place by making UAV's available to people at reasonable cost.  I dream of a time where I hear stories of medical supplies delivered to small African villages in the belly of a Bixler flown by an APM.

That and, I really wanted an autopilot on my helicopter.  Not having $13,000 lying around for a DJI Ace One, I latched on to this project. No way I could have done any of this by myself.  As they say "I have stood on the shoulders of giants."  

wow I wish i could pay 180$  I am curently paying 333$ at a place in Darkest South Africa. Hell not to mention the motors. I could have build 3 quads for the price of one. Damm you guys are lucky. And to topp it i am earning penuts as well.

whay was i born here! fk!

...is it the tax you pay for import or you buy localy..i think tax cant be that high.

Ryanier's comment reinforces my earlier post regarding the relativity of a local economy.

Regarding contributions by developers... in a free market, you may not get what you deserve (or think you deserve) but you get what you negotiate.

-=Doug

I am also curious about how exactly "support" is defined / perceived by diydrones proper. 

In at least one talk (link below), Chris Anderson mentions his position regarding community support.    Is this really also the general consensus of the diydrones community?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysyYKPa9Rcg#t=22m37s

Looks like I opened a can of worms. My intention wasn't to start a war against 3DR or Chris Anderson. I respect Chris and like I said before, probably this great community wouldn't had existed if it wasn't for Chris.

Being a developer in a open source community it means that you donate your work for a good cause. The developers who work on open source projects don't expect to be paid, they do it because it gives them satisfaction. When someone posts their own quad config files, they don't expect to be paid, they are happy they can share their knowledge with others.

If Chris decided to pay the top contributors, that's more than the community could expect and that explains why the original 3DR hardware it's a little more expensive than the clones. Go and check out any other most open source projects and you'll see that nobody gets paid (there are few exceptions). If you find a bug in the code, or have a great new idea that improves the hardware or the software, wouldn't you be excited and happy to share with us? Well, that's your payment, having a community to share your success with!

No worries.

In my book the core of the problem is the difference between developing open source and designing open hardware. If you have a computer, coding open source only cost time. So if you are willing to dedicate spare time on it, there is no money involved.

But hardware on the other hand cost real money to design, no matter how open you are about it. As your project become more and more advanced the traditional DIY electronics approaches become unpractical and to time consuming to really get anything done. So pretty soon there is need for specialized equipment that come with real physical price tags on them. The price of components and materials also quickly start to add up. While some component only costs cents to a couple bucks each, the real stuff like sensors, micro-controllers and such costs more. And you need many of then and then some to spare, during the dev cycle. You can't expect software programmers to make their own boards (at this level of complexity), so you have to make batches of prototype boards, so that they can make software and use the boards to give feedback for the next revision. All this adds up to real money, not just time.

And this brings us back to what I consider the core of the problem. Without companies like 3DR, willing to put up the money for the hardware design process (and then release all the information for free), there would be no APM. Just like there would not be a APM without the free coders doing the software part. Once hardware reaches a certain level of complexity, there is/must be at least some minimal level of commercial interest involved to cover the cost.

Companies like HobbyKing and RCTimer only mass product already finished designs. All of this totally legal (or at least in the grey zone). An they are very good at this, using the lower labor cost in China for maximum effect. But the fact is, that without 3DR there would be no APM for them to mass produce and sell. And then you would save even more money!! :)

@Ioan Ghip

You picked a board that has a manufacturing fault and even if it was manufactured correctly IS NOT AT ALL COMPATIBLE with APM 2.5

A lot of the discussion in this thread including your OP has completely overlooked the fact the 2 boards are not comparable at all.

You should have compared APM 2.5 with the fully functional comparable ArduFlyer 2.5 then the exaggerated difference in price due solely to Hobby King reduction in price to dump a FAULTY BOARD dramatically shrinks.

You opened a can of worms only for those who do not read nor research facts before typing replies.

All the functions of the 2.5

Free mission planner

Free updates

If you have a problem there is someone to call or write 

Power module

Plastic case

$180 is a fantastic deal

Cheap copies from China $34 is a rip off.

I stumbled upon this:

http://www.rctimer.com/index.php?gOo=goods_details.dwt&goodsid=...

They copied everything 3DR makes, it's wild.

RSS

© 2014   Created by Chris Anderson.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service