In an earlier version of Megaplanner I was able to make Config changes and send them to my Hexa. Currently, this seems to have no effect. Also, when going in terminal mode, the result screen shows lots of scrambled garbage as output.
Downlink via Xbee is fine. Connecting via hardware USB is fine too (both uplink and downlink). Any ideas would be appreciated! I'm afraid I'm going to wear out of the USB connector on the board!
In terminal mode press return three times and that should sort out the garbled data for you.
Thank you for your reply. I tried that, but the only result is that APM 'hangs' and can only be forced to close.
Don't know what is going on in that case, as by pressing return three times you enter the CLI mode for an APM 2 (see the instructions for the APM 1 http://code.google.com/p/ardupilot-mega/wiki/MPTerminal)
I tried, including sliding the switch forward (although I thought that was depreciated). The result is still the same. See attached picture.
Are you disconnected from the APM before you get to the terminal screen? If not try that if you are using an APM 1.
We had to ensure the slider was in the cli position, then go to the terminal screen, then connect before all was OK. Once finished, we then had to disconnect, return the slider to fly position and then go to another tab and then re connect for it to work.
Its a steep learning curve for anyone coming into this project cold, as a lot of what is taken for granted by the designers and software writers is not obvious to us dumb users!!
No, I'm not disconnected. I might try that!
Half the problem is solved. Uplink DOES work. I finally figured out (duh!) that when changing a config value in Megaplanner to click outside of the field that was changed to turn it green to trigger an upload.
Figure out anything else? I can connect and get data through the flight data screen, but the terminal just scrolls garbage whatever I try.
I'm trying to figure out why my sonar sensor is going crazy, and see if the CLI shows the same information. May be a futile test, but it could be related to the terminal garbage I suppose.
No, I was not able to solve the garbage in terminal screen problem. However, I noticed that the Sonar is very prone to interference from both ESC, ESC power wires AND Xbee antenna signal. I moved the sonar around, used shielded wire and move the Xbee module around which fixed the Sonar problem.
Yeah, I swapped the cable I was using with a shielded cable, but maybe I need to shield the whole thing or move it around. I will give that a try tonight. Guess I could also have done a horrible job with the shielded cable.
I could be wrong but since the telemetry data is in binary format (not readable ascii text) I never ever in a serial terminal window get "readable" data. I'm talking in a serial terminal window such as Arduino serial monitor, Putty, hyperterminal, or some other serial terminal window. It could be a completely incorrect assumption on my part but I assume the CLI terminal window is the same unless it interprets the data and displays text in a readable format. My understanding is that there is a mode change and then the APM spits out ascii. The reason we don't use ascii during flight is that the time to write ascii out the serial port seriously jams the main loop as this is a known problem in programming any 8 bit microcontroller. Bascically, writing serial ascii from the APM would make it respond so slow you could not stabilize.
Again, I could be wrong but I think this is what's going on.
OK, I'll also just do my tests with a direct usb connection.