I have ArduPilotMega 1.x hardware and I have repeated problems with bricking zigbee modules that are connected when powering up (about 1 out of 4 power ups will brick my zigbee). I have seen suggestions to keep the zigbee unplugged until ArduPilotMega is powered up and then plug in zigbee. This is a pain in the butt!
I assume the problem is somehow in signals to the zigbee boot loader when powering up.
So my questions are: Is this problem solved in ArduPilotMega 2 hardware?
Or even better, is there a simple solution for ArduPilotMega 1.x hardware?
Yes, it's not an issue with APM 2. Very few people see the issue with APM 1 anymore, either. Are you using the latest code?
I'm using ArduPlane 2.24, so I'm a few revisions behind. Was there a specific software fix since then? (I have been assuming it was a hardware issue like a weak pull-up or so...)
I can't remember. Any reason why you haven't upgraded?
no, just have not needed to. I will try the latest ArduPlane code and see if that helps.
I have upgraded my Bee's in the past with no problem. I got them from digi direct. The base is from DIY works perfect with it.
I don't understand your comment. I am also using the XtreamBee Board sold by diydrones. The issues is that the zigbee modules are being bricked quite frequently on power up by the ArduPilotMega 1.4 board running ArduPlane 2.24 software. I find my self having to use the digi tool to reprogram them quite often.
Hmmm... I haven't has a single bricking in about 20 power ups.
(knock on wood)
Haha! I cursed myself. Bricked an Xbee on Saturday, can you believe it?
Continue to have this issues on all versions of ArduPlane code. And on 3 different ArduPliotMega 1.4 boards. Also tried 3 or 4 different zigbees.
I haven't had any bricking problems in quite a long while with APM1 (2560) hardware [ I'm about to be jinxed].
The reason for the bricking is because radio's pin#3, the data in pin, has a shared function. When held low during power up it is a CONFIG pin. If it starts in configuration mode and there is a data stream present there is a better than zero chance that the radio will become RE-configured or populated with corrupted parameters.
The only simple, guaranteed, way to prevent this with the x-bee is to keep the Din [pin#3] disconnected until the radio is powered and has been powered for a moment. I have not found the time length stated in the data sheet but were talking less than 200mSec for sure.