On my first bench test I made the wrong assumption that my receiver scales the input voltage. I have a 7.4V receiver pack hooked up to the receiver that’s hooked up to the AMP2. I then connected the AMP2 to the PC through USB. Initially everything seemed fine with light flashing. I continued to Mission Planner to set up the plane, although AMP2 fails to connect now.
It is still visible in the COM port and 3Dfix is solid so it does still get GPS lock. When I hit connect in Mission Planner the blue and red light (A, C) rapidly alternately flash for a couple of seconds and stop and the yellow TX and RX don’t flash. I can’t see any visible burn/scorch marks on the board.
Has anyone else supplied overvoltage to the board and is there a way to fix this?
Two main questions:
Are you using the correct serial speed in Mission Planner?
Are you using the APM with 7.4v plug-pack whilst also plugged into USB? - It is best not to do this, you could cause an overvoltage ground loop (where the potential difference between the ground and the two vcc is the killer, not the overvoltage itself.)
Also just check that the correct driver appears when the device is plugged in (in device manager in control panel.)
I would even go so far as to uninstall the device (whilst plugged in choose to uninstall and remove driver.) - next uninstall Mission Planner, re-install Mission planner using the latest MSI. then plug in the APM and see if it installs the correct driver and shows that COM port in MP...try from there and let us know.
if using USB speed should usually be 115200 default, if using xbee the default is 57600
Next option would also be to download arduino software and the ARDU of your choice (arduplane, copter, etc.) choose the Ardumega 2560 as board type, and try to upload the ARDU software to it (after choosing the correct serial port just like you would in Mission Planner.
Yes, initially I had the 7.4V on the receiver and the APM2 on the USB simultaneously. Only for a minute till I couldn’t connect to Mission Planner. I disconnected everything and attempted to only reconnect the AMP2 but it wouldn’t. I did have the AMP2 set up correctly when I first did it without the RC gear connected.
As you suggested I uninstalled the drivers while it was plugged in and also uninstalled Mission Planner. Then started fresh, as I did first time I got it. -Installed Mission Planner, plugged in AMP2 and the drivers install successfully. Then when I go to install firmware from Mission Planner I get an error stating "Can’t detect your AMP version, Please check you’re cabling". The RX and blue(C) light Flashes a couple of times but not the TX.
When I tried to connect it to Mission Planner Before, I got an error stating "no heartbeats" The baud rate is correctly set up in both device manager and in Mission Planner and it states "Arduino MEGA 2560(COM5)" in device manager.
I tried to load some of the example code from the Arduino software, although I get something similar- RX light flashes occasionally and blue light flashes as well but the ‘loading bar’ is stuck at the end..Not sure where to go from here.
Thanks for your reply!