I raised a propblem with my magnetometer earlier and have now found the propblem but not the solution,
basicly i have changed airframes on my hex i used to have a 12" gap between props i have now moved the motors closer so now have a 4" gap between props, since i have done this my magnetometer is now out by about 45 degrees , this is with no power to the main motors so the conclusion must be the magnets in the motors are affecting the magnetometer, does anyone know how to get around this? as obviously the way it stands i can do no gps positioning.
i used the mask but my arms and hands were red raw for a while, the things we do for our hobbies :)
On the off chance, did you move closer to the lipo. There was a posting a while back on magnetic interference from a lipo. Can't remember when or where the posting was, but the it demostrated very strong fields from the lipo. Some brands were worse than others.
I would suppose a mag field could grow on a Lipo conductance near the Mho, I am not too sure of the capacitive reactance. i REMEMEMBER ELI the ICE man.
Found the link.
and video http://vimeo.com/29519728.
Wow that is a impressive test im amazed with all the wires to the motors and the lipo's the mag works at all....................
Good point gord will remove lipos when i get home tonight and let you know what happens.
just to let you know i removed the lipo's and it made no change to the mag its still 45 degrees off :(
Looks like it going to be a stubborn problem.
thanks monroe, i will do some homework as well.
well i have spent days now trying to solve this have now had to turn magnetometer off, so i now have a board which flies the hex exactly like my 20 pound kk board :(
also had to go back to mission planner 1.1.50 as if i update any higher my apm will not connect to laptop
anyway hope people are having more luck than me
Marc, did you have the chance to upload recent firmware from the planner?
If no, please give it a try then:
Reset all of you parameters.
Calibrate radio and configure as usual.
Calibrate your mag without turning on the motors away from any metal or source of magnetic interference (you can now set the offsets in the left side of the configurator...)
Fly in stabilize mode for a while with mag enabled (and declination configured)... like a few batteries.
In ths time try to face the copter in a 360° pattern.
This has to be done in a magnetic interference free environment.
The best would be to fly at least for 8/10 minutes to allow automatic compass calibration to converge correctly.
Then test away from any big computer, heater (yes my fixed home heater is connected to house ground and is a huge magnetic interference!) and let us know.
What you have done is account for the magnetic interference of the motors during flight, something you cannot do in static calibration.
You must reset all of your parameters before this, otherwise you will keep your old values in and probably all this will not work.
Hope this helps,
have tried all of the above with no success the mag is about 60 degress out now and i am not powering any of the motors and have tried this in about 20 different locations