Hi All,

I have started this discussion to help members, like myself, who have really had only limited experience with the Mission Planner (MP).

Since the MP can download the latest or any version of the ArduRover code, how can we modify the code to define which APM (APM1 or APM2) we are using or whether the Oilpan is attached (LITE = DISABLED)?

I have downloaded and modified version 2.20a of the ArduRover code to define my hardware configuration and loaded it into my APM1 using the Arduino IDE. However, the version 2.20b code that the MP can download does not seem to be available on the downloads and must therefore be in the git. My question is: of what use is the MP Ardurover firmware download capability if we cannot modify the code to reflect our hardware configuration prior to the download? Or am I missing something here?

The programming instructions of the ArduRover are somewhat sketchy in the ArduRover Wiki and it would be greatly appreicated if members who have successfully configured their ArduRovers using the MP could chime in here with some timely advice and direction.

Regards,

TCIII 

Views: 7679

Replies to This Discussion

Tom, I'm delighted you're doing this. Once you have it clear, could you please edit the wiki to make it more helpful for newcomers? Let me know if you don't already have edit permission there.

Will do Chris. I can take material out of this discussion when it becomes available and bolster the ArduRover Wiki.

Regards,

TCIII

Since the ArduRover has been added to the 1.2.13 version of  the MP I am going to assume that the MP will adjust the ArduRover configuration file to match the hardware configuration (APM1 vs APM2, LITE vs Oilpan) as it does with the ArduPlane and ArduCopter. Comments?

Hi Thomas.

ArduRover was in Mission Planner for a while. In the version you mentioned I just made it visible by adding an icon for it. It works the same as it did before by hitting CTRL+R "hidden" shortcut that many were unaware.

To be honest, I haven't checked what that code is doing, I just made it more visible.

And since it's all open source you could either suggest some patch to fix the issues you notice or if you are not feeling strong in changing the MP then you could post a list of required changes and maybe devs can have a look to address them.

Hi Marooned,

Thanks for the input. Much appreciated.

Could you briefly describe, if you know, what the MP is doing when the ArduRover icon is selected in the Firmware Tab. Is the MP checking the configuration of the APM hardware so that the right configuration is selected (ie APM1 vs AMP2 or LITE vs Oilpan)?

Regards,

TCIII

Hi All,

For those of you who have your ArduRover working, I need some input from you concerning the setup of the radio channels.

I am using a Spektrum DX7 transmitter and a BR6000 receiver. I have the receiver connected to the APM1 R/C inputs per the diagram. I get the following R/C channel ranges in the MP:

Roll: 1109 - 1891

Pitch: 1110 - 1885

3 Way Switch: L 1148, M 1501, H1853

2 Way Switch (momentary): 1109 - 1892

I have the flight modes setup as follows: 1 Auto, 2 Auto, 3 Stab, 4 Stab, 5 Man, 6 Man.

Questions:

1) Do I have the flight modes set correctly for the ArduRover. I am assuming that the Stabilize mode is the Learning mode? I have saved the flight modes using the MP.

2) When testing the two way switch, the APM1 will lock up and requires a reset. Possible cause?

3) What is the difference between the actions in the Configuration Tab and the "Setup" button in the Firmware Tab in the MP?

4) After using the MP to load the latest ArduRover software and doing a reset in the CLI setup, what is the best approach to follow to complete the setup of the ArduRover. Should I start with the Setup in the Firmware Tab or go and use the functions in the Configuration Tab? The Setup initiated from the Firmware Tab seems to be very basic while the Configuration Tab functions are very detailed in the number of parameters that can be adjusted.

5) I have noticed that it does not matter what position the CLI switch is in on the Oilpan as I can initiate the CLI connection in either position. What position should the CLI switch be in for normal run operation? I think that it should be towards the servo pins for autonomous operation? Comments?

Regards,

TCIII

Regards,

TCIII

From what I can see in the code it grabs this XML file and takes this info for ArduRover:

<Firmware>
    <url>http://meee146-planner.googlecode.com/git/Tools/ArdupilotMegaPlanne...;
    <url2560>http://meee146-planner.googlecode.com/git/Tools/ArdupilotMegaPlanne...;
    <url2560-2>http://meee146-planner.googlecode.com/git/Tools/ArdupilotMegaPlanne...;
    <name>ArduRover v2.20b</name>
    <desc>
#define LITE  DISABLED

#define CLI_ENABLED         ENABLED
#define CLI_SLIDER_ENABLED  DISABLED
#define CLOSED_LOOP_NAV     ENABLED
#define AUTO_WP_RADIUS      DISABLED

#define TRACE               ENABLED

#include "APM_Config_Rover.h"

</desc>
    <format_version>13</format_version>
  </Firmware>

So as you can see it has three versions for different boards plus has some info (<desc> field) about used config, but this is what I just read from the code. I haven't used that.

Hi Marooned,

Thanks for the quick response and analysis. Much appreciated! It looks like the APM_Config_Rover.h has no impact on the hardware configuration other than to enable the compass which is really necessary for good waypoint accuracy. The remainder of the hardware configuration can be accomplished in the MP Configuration Tab.

Regards,

TCIII

Marooned,

When the ArduRover is selected in the MP (v 1.2.13) should the Flight Modes change from "Stabilize" to "Learning"?

Regards,

TCIII

Hi All,

When checking the 3-way switch in the MP Flight Mode tab, I get the following indication when the switch is at the Manual (high position): "Manual" 1853. Moving the switch to the Learning (middle position): "Stabilize" 1501. And finally, moving the switch to the Auto (lower position): "Initializing" followed after a brief period by "Manual" 1148. Is this correct? Why is the Auto (lower position) showing "Manual" at the end of the "Initializing" period? I am using ArduRover 2.20b.

Regards,

TCIII

hey im new with the rover, do you have a mission ready? what i mean if there is no miss.  will it go back to man.?

Hi James,

I have been posting a lot of questions concerning programming the ArduRover with the MP and have received no feedback as of yet. I am as much in the dark as you are. All of my ArduRover hardware works correctly. As soon as I finish mounting the APM1.4/Oilpan, GPS, compass, and receiver on my rover chassis, which should be by tomorrow, I will try to really program it. As of late, I have just been experimenting with the MP/CLI and the rover.

Regards,

TCIII

RSS

DIY Drones Monthly
Newsletter

Groups

Season Two of the Trust Time Trial (T3) Contest 
A list of all T3 contests is here. The current round, the Vertical Horizontal one, is here

© 2016   Created by Chris Anderson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service