Hey guys! (and girls) I noticed a lot of people do love their X8 but they are pimping them quite a lot... Most of the time going above the max weight of the aircraft or going faster creating flutter. A composite airframe would help a lot in stiffening the desing and pushing the enveloppe.  

If I was to produce a composite airframe from an X8 completly in fiberglass, would there be interest from members in this forum? I do not know how much it would cost so far. Just a ''yeah I would like one"" Just click the Like button.

thanks for your replies! I will look into it shortly.

Tags: Coposite, X8, airframe, flutter, possible, question, skywalker

Views: 1281

Replies to This Discussion

I could be interested!

although I have just put a 5mm carbon web along the length of each wing just in front of the elevons, 600mm length. Has enabled me to have another 10m/s before flutter happens.

Simple, easy & very light, but it is a bodge.

There are several composite blended wings available including fiberglass and carbon fiber.  One is now in service in Africa supporting counter poaching missions.  Optimized composite blended wings have a somewhat different shape as compared with an X-8 because they achieve stiffening through a different process.  There also are a few 3-D printed blended wings that look nearly identical to an X-8. For a hobbyist, I would recommend the 3-D printing approach rather than fiberglass or carbon fiber layout.  If you design a good aircraft (Blender, Solid Works, etc.), I would be glad to assist in printing with aircraft grade glass filled nylon or carbon filled nylon.  Better yet, form a team and participate in the Wildlife Conservation UAV Challenge.

With all due respect, if there is a large interest in this, a printed X8 won't be viable for people who have no patience.

Like me

=)

Hi Jason,

It only takes a few hours to print an X-8 sized aircraft using SLS. (It takes about 36 hours with FDM.)  The principal hurdle is cost.  Glass filled or carbon filled nylon is expensive and only a few production facilities are able to print low mass aircraft structures with these materials.

Our blended wing aircraft did take several days of intensive work to create the CAD files.  If you are new to 3-D printed aircraft, I suggest you start with a smaller aircraft to hone your skills in designing in strength where needed.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!OMG YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Zedtwitz,

Both the FDM (Stratasys Fortus Ultem) and SLS (carbon filled polyamides from SolidConcepts) we have used for X8 sized blended wings yield no discernible surface roughness, although grooves could be added to minimize drag for low Reynolds# flight conditions.

Low cost printers are beginning to yield similar results, although some post print processing may be needed.  For low cost large build printers, we have considerable success with Glacier Summit and Taulman 645 filament when configured with a heated build chamber.  You can print an X-8 sized aircraft using Glacier Summit in 5 sections, but the results will not be as pleasing as with the Stratasys Fortuse using Ultem or as robust as SLS with carbon filled nylon.

Ron

YES!

I strongly disagree with the issues you guys are raising about weight. If you build it right it can be very strong and still quite light. I fly fully moulded gliders and they are bullet proof compared to what is required for a X8 

I Like the idea and have considered it myself, I will get around to it at some stage but for now have too many other projects on the go.

Good luck and I'll be keeping an eye on this thread!

oh if you want to stop the flutter, burry a carbon arrow shaft into the aileron to stiffen it up torsionally...

I'm in for a pair if this moves forward….. X8 carbon Kickstarter Campaign??

As opposed to "Just" an x8, it would be great to compile all the mods and custom revisions into an open source file; things like:

-Tapered rear section for reduced drag

-Standardized motor mount plate receiver

-Cooling ducting around motor

-Pitot tube mount or hole

-Pin-and-magnet vertical fin attachment

-Remove the bottom hump, or streamline the fuse.

-Reference markings on fuse, wings and interior, for centreline, cg, thrust line.

-HK airbrake slots & servo lead channel

-Interior tray system

-Better hatch/lid closure

-Mounting points for APM, VTX

-2-3 nose options- Fixed cam, gopro, pan tilt.

Even just a plug and play fuse would be great, to swap out with existing kits.

Thoughts??

Great List of suggested upgrades!  Although I too like and continue to enjoy the X8, it is not perfect nor is it well suited for composites.  At Kashmir World Foundation we have created a much improved blended wing body aircraft that includes all your suggestions and more.  Best of all, it is an open source project. To access the project, you must sign up with Kashmir World Foundation.  Currently CAD is in Rhinoceros 5 and Fusion 360. Neither is open source, but you can get free use of Fusion 360 via Kashmir World Foundation at www.kashmirworldfoundation.org

''yeah I would like one" :)

RSS

© 2014   Created by Chris Anderson.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service