2011 didn't end too well for the ArduWot, incorrectly fitted undercarriage made for instant nose over on throttle up which broke the prop and fried the ESC. A new ESC arrived Monday which was quickly fitted only to reveal it to be useless at powering the aircraft and APM, luckily we'd also ordered a BEC (for a different project, but ArduWot takes…
After our flight testing was halted by a blown ESC I decided to start work on Software/Hardware in Loop (SIL/HIL) testing. As I pointed out in previous posts we plan to use APM to control multiple autonomous vehicles, all cooperating to various degrees. Before we can safely test such systems outdoors, especially given our constrained operating area, we need…Continue
Today we finally got bored of waiting for the windy weather to subside so we took ArduWot out anyway. In the couple of weeks since our last flight we've written an interface between APM and MATLAB/Simulink utilising the MAVLink protocol. For anyone not famliar with Simulink its basically a tool used by control engineers to prototype control systems in a…Continue
Since my previous introductory post we've installed APM in ArduWot and racked up quite a bit of flight testing. In this post I'll give you guys some details on the setup of APM and the flight testing we've done so far.
I mentioned in my previous post that we'd famliarised ourselves with APM using a flying wing before…Continue
The Loughborough University Centre for Autonomous Systems (LUCAS) have spent a number of years working with an indoor rotary wing UAV test environment with little progress on outdoor testing. In recent weeks we've strapped an ArduPilot Mega to an old flying wing and have been very pleased with the results, so much so that we're now building up a dedicated Arduplane, the ArduWot.