Metaphorically speaking that is!
Seeing the development of code for the Ardupilot 'legacy*' has slowed right down I've decided to start modifying it myself to be a little more functional.
As I progress I'll post the updated code for everyone to benefit...
My aims so far are;
1) TWI between IMU and Autopilot
2) Bi-directional comms to GCS
3) External board to accomodate 2x pressure sensors, voltage + current, 12v upconverter for video & perhaps relay switches.
4) Overlay of telemetry data over video within the GCS to fly FPV without having to add another power hungry device onboard the UAV.
The list will no doubt increase as I get each step finished and have new requirements.
So far the TWI routines are pretty happy, bi-directional comms via XBee's is limited but working (PID's can be set from the GCS and attitude/GPS data can be received @ 10updates/sec + recorded )
Biggest problem I'm facing is the lack of available IO on the two ARDU boards, I'm guessing the external board may end up being another ATMega on TWI...
My UAV setup at the moment is;
1) Multiplex Easystar with mods;
- Larger rudder
- Rudder servo moved to tail
- Removable + strengthened compartment under the wings for mounting the IMU on the CG (And allowing easy access to the ESC)
- Outrunner hacker 12L and mods to fit it
- New canopy section to accomodate the GPS, Ardupilot and camera (This is a work in progress)
2) ArduPilot + ArduIMU + Mediatek 10hz GPS
Will have to add some pics when I get a chance...
BTW as I'm developing the GCS in VB6.0 I need to try and find some FREE! .ocx aircraft controls - anyone know where I can find such a beast?