Sometimes APM development goes fast, and sometimes it goes like molasses in winter. After being asked repeatedly (over many months - sorry) I have finally gotten support for multiple aileron channels in place. You can use this if you want to set your airframe up with differential ailerons or if you have separate servos on your ailerons and they don't move opposite directions for a given input.
The big delay with this change was coordinating the way we would use channels 5-8 for a variety of purposes. Functionality is coming for flaps, camera mounts and more.
Here are the things to know about using the new dual aileron functionality:
- I have tested this on the bench, but have not flight tested it. I do not expect any problem, but as always with new functionality exercise some caution.
- The functionality is in the current version of the code in the repo (trunk).
- You can set up the second aileron on either channel 5 or 6. Remember that it does not matter which channel it is on your receiver. Just take that receiver output and hook it up to 5 or 6.
- For that channel (5 or 6) you will need to set a new parameter. For channel 5 it is rc_5_funct. You can set this as a parameter through a GCS like APM Planner, or you can set it using a #define in your config file. If you set it in your config file use #define RC_5_FUNCT RC_5_FUNCT_AILERON. If you set it through the GCS set rc_5_funct to a value of 1.
- If you want to use differential aileron travel program your radio so that it works as you desire in manual mode.
- You will need to redo your radio calibration. I do not know if APM Planner properly supports calibration of channels 5 and 6, but I will drop Mike O an email about it and I'm sure if it does not now, it will very soon. The CLI procedure does work fine.
- You cannot set the reversing for the 2nd aileron channel with the dip switches (as there is not one available for this). So, it is highly recommended that you disable the dip switches and set up your reversing using the parameters. Remember that if you are working with the raw parameter values reversing is 1 or -1.