Development of a composite twin boom pusher airframe.

Views: 13841

Tags: airframe, boom, compsite, pusher, twin

Comment by Leo Hogg on November 15, 2012 at 1:35pm

Richard. Good luck for the weekend, hope the weather holds up.

 

Comment by Richard on November 15, 2012 at 4:56pm
Fair play Rich, you work fast!! Must have been a bit worrying seeing it roll inverted! I'm going t do a similar thing with the avionics shelf, but will get a few flights done prior to installing the apm. What radio are you using? Doesn't look like a 2.4 or 35mhz..?

I also have a set of 433 3dr's. A bit concerned about them crashing mid flight.. Did you find the cause of the 3dr locking up?
Rich
Comment by Leo Hogg on November 15, 2012 at 5:20pm

3dr lockups seem to be when plugging stuff about but I dont think I did anything dodgy. Dont know why todays telemetry was so poor, nothing changed from day before. Cant see the mission planner when Im in the field so didnt know it was bad until I had finished. My set is an Aurora9 2.4. Can get all 6 modes with switches and it displays the mode on the TX screen - brill.

Comment by Richard on November 16, 2012 at 11:50am
nice radio, just looked it up on the Internet, I am using a not so reliable 35mhz Futaba 9cap. I am considering getting the 2.4ghz module, or maybe getting the dragon link. But will be using the ar6200 and dx6i for maiden.

Is the fact your fuse is made of carbon finer going to contribute to poor radio performance . I was told at one point that using carbon fibre on planes can reduce signal strength. Hoping my cf booms will be okay
Comment by Leo Hogg on November 16, 2012 at 1:30pm

I think all the issues with CF were when people put the antennas inside like you could with balsa or GF. Both my 3DR and 2.4 are on the outside and the GPS has a good view of the sky through thin GF. First flight it had great connection all the way around. Suspect I might have had an antenna issue yesterday but its OK now. You may have spotted the rubber duck direct on the PCB. That was just for testing, I made up an SMA cable so I could fix it on the outside.

Comment by Leo Hogg on November 17, 2012 at 4:17pm

Short mission today to test the new atto volt/amp sensor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sny8fD7ssBM&feature=youtube_gda...

Comment by Richard on November 18, 2012 at 1:44pm
Did the maiden, the video is on my page.. Had a minor mishap... The l/g and motor broke off!
Comment by Leo Hogg on November 18, 2012 at 4:00pm
Comment by Ricardo Affonso on November 20, 2012 at 6:09pm

is that the same engine from that video with high grass? do you have the takeoff speen on both of them? on the first it takes off almost stalling, on the last one it goes up like a rocket! congratulations!

also, thanks for the tip on the gravity cutter. i was already thinking about doing it, i'll try to make this tomorrow. by the way, how many kg do you use for the 15cm/min cut? my styrofoam is 33kg/m³, and the wing length is 600mm. i'm thinking in the use of water bottles as weight, so i can add or remove water easily to calibrate.

Comment by Ricardo Affonso on November 20, 2012 at 6:15pm

ah, one more tip. about the airspeed, try to make a fuse on its base, so if it hits the ground, the tube goes out without bending.

on mine, i fixed it to the nose with 8 rare-earth magnets. 4 glued on the fuse, 4 with hotglue and a heatshrink tubing on the pitot, this way it's removed for transportation and easily placed for flight, and in the case of a crash, i hope the magnets go apart and the tube stays intact. i'll send a picture tomorrow.

Comment

You need to be a member of DIY Drones to add comments!

Join DIY Drones

© 2014   Created by Chris Anderson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service