Here is video of first flights with the new lighter Hashcopter. PIDs make it a bit agressive and unstable because of reduced weight. Also you can see the massive camera flying with the copter.
Story goes like this:
I had a bad crash after few hours of flight time with Hashcopter. Crash was caused by flying the battery too empty and one off the ESCs cutting power off. The copter is capable of landing with 7 motors but I made a mistake flying to the direction of the broken motor to get it closer to pilot. This caused it to lean on the corner with no power and from that it couldn't recover, flipped and crashed from 20 meter height. Frame bent badly and one of the motors was never found. Fortunately most of the electronics survived from the crash. Lost only two motors and one ESC.
For some time had been thinking how I would change things if starting to build the frame from scratch. This was the perfect excuse to start all over again. So here are the changes made to totally the new frame:
- Used 10x10mm tubing with 1mm wall thickness. This saved 160g of the frame weight and frame is still strong enough for all practical purpose.
- None of the wiring anymore goes inside the tubing. These things are always being repaired and taken apart for some purpose. I don't want to do any extra soldering just because I need to get something detached from the frame.
- Made much lighter landing gear from 6mm aluminium tubing. Saved 60g from that.
- Built really simple Camera mount with no servos from 6mm tubing. I take only still images and usually the camera stays in one position or can be manually turned on ground.
Overall I got the whole copter over 400g lighter and that means minutes of more flight time. Overall flight weight after lightening is still 2700g. This includes 730g of camera and 530g of battery.
And here is a nice sunset shot from repaired copter:
Earlier parts of the story: