3 years charging these lipo battries and no problem. 8-16-2013 my luck ran out. I was charging a 3 cell 2200 mah lipo while I worked at the computer.<br /
3 years charging these lipo battries and no problem. 8-16-2013 my luck ran out.
I was charging a 3 cell 2200 mah lipo while I worked at the computer.
It caught FIRE near me. Got it out the door just in time.
It burns HOT and long.
Could have burned the place down to the ground.
Be CAREFUL.....PLEASE !
Earl
It Caught FIRE near me. Got it out the door just in time. It burns HOT and long.
Be CAREFULL.....

Views: 5286

Tags: battry, caution, charging, lipo, safety

Comment by Jesse on August 16, 2013 at 1:48am

I believe they refer to that now as the 787 syndrome. But seriously, glad you and your home are OK!!


Admin
Comment by Gary Mortimer on August 16, 2013 at 1:56am

I'm busy charging batteries right now, made me go check.

Comment by Jesse on August 16, 2013 at 2:38am

Any clues as to why it burst into flames?  was the pack swollen at all?

LiPo's scare me for exactly this reason.  I do however make sure that I always balance the pack, every single charge. and I have already thrown a couple of packs out that began to swell a little bit...

Comment by R. D. Starwalt on August 16, 2013 at 4:17am

If you will, please tell us the brand of battery and the charger you were using.

It would also be helpful to know the charge rate, stop voltage, etc, if the charger is one of the newer 'smart type'.

Glad you caught it even if just in time.

-=Doug

Comment by Pablo Torres Carreira on August 16, 2013 at 5:22am

That never happened to me, but for safety I put my batteries inside a thick glass jar while charging.


Admin
Comment by Thomas J Coyle III on August 16, 2013 at 5:28am

A template can be purchased that allows a LiPo user to objectively determine when a LiPo is at the end of its life. The template has rectangular slots for the various sizes of LiPos and all a user needs to do is select the correct size slot and see if the LiPo will pass through it. If it won't make it through the correct slot, then it is time to dispose of it even if it will still take a charge.

I always charge out in the garage which has a concrete floor and have a small bucket of sand handy to douse the flames if one should decide to catch fire during the charging process.

Regards,

TCIII Admin

Comment by Jesse on August 16, 2013 at 5:57am

I suppose you could make your own template TJCIII?  just cut out a piece of wood that your pack fits neatly through and when it stops fitting neatly through it, replace...

There is a range of lipo charge bags out there that are designed to contain a fire caused by a lipo.  Glass jars will break with the heat and make the situation worse, not a good idea to use...

Comment by Chuck on August 16, 2013 at 6:00am

Just out of curiosity, what charging method and amps were you charging at? 2.0a on balance? Scary stuff, glad everything worked out OK.


Moderator
Comment by Roberto Navoni on August 16, 2013 at 6:14am

Happen also to me last year . but normally i recharge the battery out of my home and inside an aluminium case .. so if i close it the fire don't have oxygen to burn. Keep atention about battery .. happen in 3-4 second .

Comment by Earl on August 16, 2013 at 6:14am

@TJCiii Your sooo right. VERY good advice. I will NEVER use a pack that has swelled again. Penny saved, Pound lost !

I regularly used swelled packs never giving thought they were dangerous. They ARE.

If you misuse a lipo battery by running it down too low in voltage and it swells, discard it. It is bad now and could be dangerous if you try to charge it.

I regularly misused lipos, but after the fire last night, I will be much more aware of battery safety now.

I sure wasn't expecting this ! Fires DO happen with swelled packs so be aware. I will from now on.

Thanks to God things turned out ok.

Earl

Comment

You need to be a member of DIY Drones to add comments!

Join DIY Drones

© 2014   Created by Chris Anderson.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service