Yesterday I had my third fly with ardupilot on my X8 and is anded badly.

In about 3 seconds after start engine stopped and I lost control totally.

Due to small roll and pitch angle my X8  kept flying and crashed in a tree in 300 meters.

Later at home I discovered that connector on a power module on the battery side came off from the wire. Terminals inside the connector had almost no trace of solder. On the wire solder attended and was highly oxidized!!!!

This means that the soldering kept on heat shrink tubing, and water has entered inside accident was only a matter of time and vibration, which is what happened.

I also cut tube from another wire and soldering quality on it also leave much to be desired.

Fortunately the aircraft be restored by the end of the week I will raise it again in the air (It amazingly strong!).

However, I will now have to check all the areas of factory soldering.

Views: 1751

Tags: Crash

Comment by OlivierD. on February 17, 2013 at 2:28pm

when you solder these, you need to push the wire into the hole while it`s hot, and then add solder. After that, it will never come off. You need to strip a little more wire that what you have now. I would cut both and start fresh with double what you have now as exposed wire. When you push it in, it will go all the way to the silicone.

Comment by George Pokachalov on February 17, 2013 at 2:33pm

Power module came already soldered with connectors, so it's not my fail. 

Comment by OlivierD. on February 17, 2013 at 2:43pm

Clearly bad assembly, they didn`t push it in properly and there isn`t enough contact area.

Comment by George Pokachalov on February 17, 2013 at 2:48pm

Yeah... And it caused very very disappointing crash((


3D Robotics
Comment by Craig Elder on February 17, 2013 at 4:26pm

Thanks for the report on this.  We will be contacting the vendor and inspecting every part we have in stock this week.


3D Robotics
Comment by Chris Anderson on February 17, 2013 at 5:12pm

Sorry to see this, George. That's the last part we still had made in China. As Craig says, we'll be inspecting the entire batch, but it looks like we should probably be making these in our own factories to ensure higher quality. If you want something done right....

Thanks for the heads up. 

Comment by Michael on February 17, 2013 at 8:21pm

I had exactly the same issue.  Same part.  Same wire.  Same connector.  Same poor solder.  And a crash.  Fortunately, everything survived except for a small bend in an arm.  Very lucky.  Easy fix and it was flying again.

Mike

Comment by Carl La France on February 17, 2013 at 9:21pm

A few years back we got some switches from Spicier controls  and they were built backwards  The normally open contacts were normally closed  etc after returning them they found out  one of the employees got a lay off notice, For a couple of weeks he ran crap about 10,'000 switches with the wrong jackets on them. The wire that didn't fall off doesn't look the best either 

Comment by Christiaan van Vollenstee on February 18, 2013 at 12:05am

This happend to my bixler about 4 days ago. I was using dean plugs.

Comment by Jason Wise on February 18, 2013 at 12:44am

I always re-solder using flux and unleaded solder or build my own connectors, As I slammed a few years ago using presolder stuff

Comment

You need to be a member of DIY Drones to add comments!

Join DIY Drones

© 2014   Created by Chris Anderson.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service