Its been some time since I gave any public updates to you people (contributors have got weeklies) on the status of the FreePilot project. Now as the project nears completion, I am posting photos and the current status for you people to comment on , advise, criticize , etc. I have run into some issues, most of which have been solved, but still need some help on the others.
- All body work finished except canopy.
- Everything bench tested.
- Some ESC issues (summarized below)
- XBee joystick control perfected.
- Latest ArduPlane 2.5 (with modifications) loaded.
- Battery and voltage sensor connected to APM on-bench.
- Airelons tested to breaking point (still works perfectly)
- Custom control rods attached (flexible plastic)
- On the inside, spruce spars in original design replaced with fiberglass.
- Everything else to get it flying.
To Do and Issues:
- Make the canopy (almost finished)
- Fix ESC heating issues: The 20A JDrones ESC is overheating on bench, without the motor running and just APM drawing from the BEC. My battery is a 11.1v 25C 2200mAh Turnigy pack, which should be suited for the ESC, but it still heats up, even after adding a beefy heat-sink on top. The MOSFETs on the bottom cannot be touched after a minute. I think I need a beefier ESC.
Heat-sinked ESC (which still gets too hot)
Just-arrived Turnigy LiPo recessed in the body
APM, GPS and Xbee recessed in the body
Servo connected to right aileron using my 'specialized' push rods
Top View without Canopy
Let me know what you guys think, whether it will it fly or not, etc.
If you want a photo-log of the entire project, its down below :
Parts Arrived (courtesy of Martin)
Battery and Charger (courtesy of Sandesh)
If anyone is interested in contributing towards the advancement of FreePilot please PM me!
This project would not have been possible without the generous contribution of :
- Sandesh (for batteries and charger)
- Martin (for APM, servos, Xbees, Motor, ESC and more)
- Crasher (ESC and motors pledged)
- Jaron (for airframe design which I have modified to suit my needs)