My goal was to make some simple and still good enough platform for testing and having fun, without the risk of crashing expensive parts. As you'll see on the pictures, I used zip ties everywhere around. They are strong but will break on crash, avoiding other parts. (The name came from an undemanding animal… :) )
This tricopter is based on RCExplorer's idea, with some improvements and modifications. The frame is made of 1.5mm thick G10 and 1x10mm Al square tubes. Front arms can be folded back to the rear one.
First there was a solid camera mount in the front, but I realized that I'm missing the stabilization and the possibility of pitch movement. So I made a 2-axis brushless camera mount, the motors are DIY rewinded Turnigy SK3 2822 ones with EZO bearings. Now I have -90…+30 degrees of pitch range, controlled by FC, so camera can be pointed to target automatically during Mission flight.
Current setup's technical data:
Maybe you noticed the amount of DC-DC converisons, my idea is that if everything works on it's own power source, than one part can't burn out all the others. Also, any IC's connected to video systems are equipped with L-C filters, and the linear regulators are connected to the tail boom with thermal couplings. So heat dissipation is not a problem at all!
I had many issues with jello effect, so tried many variations of dampening. This current setup looks good enough for me. Also I had many small modifications between test flights. But now I have a multi-purpose copter, with the capability of FPV flying and doing some nice shots in manual/mission mode.
Here is one of my latest test videos, showing the capabilities of this small copter:
I made some photos today, I hope you'll find any details you are interrested in.