I'm in Olivia and my brother and I built and flew a Kolb ultralight in the early 1980's. For the last five years I've been playing with multicopters and have had a lot of fun with them. Now that a retired from farming and my wife is also retired, I'll be building more multicopters. I'll let you know how my test of the sonar goes.
I have had it on the Openpilot forum five months ago and have had little interest. The problem is that my method of control is not at all efficient. I am not a programmer. At 60 years old I think it is too much to learn and a little too late for me learn.
I just used two CC boards from openpilot and set one to control four motors like a quad in "+" mode and the other controller to control four motors in the "x" mode. Then with radio mixing magic it flew the first time I tried it. I know with the proper mixing scheme programmed in a FC it would be quit easy to do also. To me it was interesting to see it work and work well. I tried many different configuration. The frame was made out of plywood and left over tubing from a Ultralight aircraft I built in the 80s. The tubing bent easily and I tried about any angle you can think of. The first way i tried it worked best. 40 degrees of tilt up and 40 degrees tilt down. More angle and it's too inefficient and less it does not develop enough side thrust to fight wind. It could only fly well in about 10mph wind or less.
No comments yet!
You need to be a member of DIY Drones to add comments!