Does anyone have a recommendation for a 3-axis gimbal for an Iris+?

The only option I have found out there is the DYS 3 Axis.  Are there any others that work with a GoPro Hero 4 Black?

Thanks, erik

p.s.

If someone who owns a DYS and an Iris sees this, I have a few questions:

1. Does the DYS integrate with pixhawk?
    • Meaning in auto missions or follow me, will the Iris+ be able to tilt the camera up and down to keep the subject in frame?
  2. Is there an interface plate, or do I have to find someone to 3D print one for me?
  3. Does the DYS work with a GoPro 4 black?
  4. How are the vibration levels?
  5. Is it difficult to install
    • Complicated software config I can handle, but on the hardware side I'm pretty awful at soldering and tend to really mess things up.

Views: 11498

Replies to This Discussion

Trouble installing DYS...

I ended up getting the DYS 3 Axis Gimbal.  I still plan to look at the Feiyu Tech 3G Ultra, but for now I've got what I've got.

Now I need to figure out how to install this thing on an Iris+.  I've seen the YouTube video on how to install on an Iris (non plus) - http://youtu.be/CVOZPXytFoI

But at least one user posted in the comments that he burnt out his Iris+ following those instructions. Also the Iris Plus comes with black and white wires (black is ground I assume), whereas the Iris (non plus) apparently comes with red and orange (as shown in video). 

Maybe I should start a new thread on how to install, but if anyone has advice it would be much appreciated.

The original IRIS had a 3 conductor cable for both pan and tilt.  With the Tarot gimbal only two wires are needed, the tilt.

So on the IRIS+ they removed one of the wires so that cable will not work for this gimbal.

The brown cable goes to ground and the orange cable is tilt, and red would be pan.

Don't know why he smoked his gimbal as there is no power just a ground and PWM connection.  Must have connected a power line to the ground or something on the main controller.

Thank you.  About the time you replied to this thread I also got an email back from customer support at xproheli.com (where I purchased my DYS).

I asked them essentially the same question as above about installation with reference to the guy who burned his out.  His response is below.  

- Note that he feels it is a better choice than the Feiyu G3.

- Also note that for the adapter plate, they use the same plate from 3DR that we use for the Tarot 2D. (maybe they pre drilled an extra hole, but I think its the stock plate).

- They recommend using the rubber dampers from the Tarot gimbal, not the ones that come with the DYS.  In fact, they included a set of those in the box with a note.  Since I already have the tarot, now I have an extra set of dampers.

Email from xproheli.com:

The Iris+ works really good with the DYS gimbal. The power supply from the Iris+ is a standard 3S (11.1v) power source so that is a perfect match for the DYS.

I think the guy that fried his DYS most likely had hooked something up incorrectly.

I don't feel that the FY-G3 gimbal is better than the DYS, I have tested it and it is not as smooth plus the left to right pans have a noticeable stop on the center line of the gimbal which is really annoying when your trying to achieve smooth cinematic like shots.

Here are some pictures on how the mount works (this works for both Iris and Iris+):

The storm32 looks like a good chip/firmware for a gimbal controller. but can't find any 3 axis gimbals that would ship with it by default

Got the DYS gimbal installed.  Pretty straight forward.

Quick Notes:

• It can spin 360 around, so pay attention to front vs back. Ignore which way the camera is pointed. The pins are in the back.
  • Iris+ White (signal) wire goes top row right (as oriented when gimbal is mounted on Iris+)
  • Black wire (ground) goes bottom right.
  • You do NOT need to program your TX. The tilt dial will work already.
  • You probably will have to download the software (and USB driver) to adjust the range of the tilt wheel. The gimbal software is pretty good and easy to use.
  • Mine defaulted to UP being camera looking straight up into body of Iris+, and fully tilted DOWN was level (straight forward). This was easy to fix in the gimbal software and the only change I made to anything.  
  • Do NOT load defaults, you will wipe DYS's adjustments and have to completely setup your gimbal from scratch.
  • The holes cut around where the standoffs go seem too small. The standoffs aren't perfectly centered in the holes and even if they were, the slightest jiggle and they will clank against the sides.
  • The black Tarot 2D rubber shock absorber balls are better than the ones that come with DYS.
  • My 90 degree USB connector for my GoPro FPV cable was a hair to big to fit between the gopro and the gimbal. Had to crack open and remove casing of the 90 degree connector, and tape over the exposed bits. The result is a much smaller 90 degree USB connector that can be plugged and unplugged without taking off the GoPro.
  • Sourced gimbal at xproheli.com.  Their price is HIGHER, but they add a mode switch (which may or may not be useful) and they supossedly tweak and test before shipping.  I dont know about all that, but I will say that indoors, no props, it seems to be perfectly configured. And they email back quick and they have god docs and videos. 
  • The DYS works with the stock Iris+ gimbal adapter plate (ie the same one used for the Tarot 2D)

HI Erik,

I have Iris+ with Tarot 2d Gimbal. I just crashed my gimbal and gopro4 by hitting to the tree while talking without pay attention to the drone. I'm going to replace with the 3Dr Tarot 2D gimbal. When I cursing at the forum I read your thread and want to replace with 3axis 360 panning. As you mention is so easy. But the problem is I just know how to play with the remote control only. Totally no knowledge in programming. Is the DYS gimbal you are using is easy like plug and play. Physically installation is OK but the soft ware programming is a little HaHa. What will you advise me..

Thanks

Eddie

There is no programming involved at all, but you do have to download and install software and drivers to allow you to adjust the range of the camera tilt.  There arent really step by step instructions for Iris+ owners specifically, so you have to figure it out a little on your own.  I didn't find it very difficult.  From the moment I realized the tilt range needed to be adjusted, it took me less than 10 minutes to download the software and drivers, install, connect by USB to gimbal, and reconfigure the range.  When I start making other tweaks, it will be a little more complex I'm sure, but overall the gimbal software was pretty straight forward.

But keep in mind that I haven't flown with it yet.  I got everything installed and working indoors. I'll test tomorrow. 

Oh and one other thing, I'm not using the 360 degree panning.  I don't plan to.  It would show the landing gear.  I just want a gimbal to smooth out yaw in addition to the pitch and roll.

Thanks Erik for quick response. If is come with instruction for Iris+ will be good guide to work with.

I will get one and try it out.

Thanks

Eddie

Flew a couple test flights with the DYS today.  Overall I'm pretty happy with it.  It is not heads-and-tails better than the Tarot 2D gimbal, but it is better.  Certainly it cuts down annoying yaw jitters, which is why I got it.  

Auto Mission swooping around an ROI worked well.  It adjusted tilt correctly to keep the target center of frame.  Follow me seemed to work well, but I didn't really stress test it.  Basically the drone flew above me pointing the camera straight down.  To many trees around to try low altitude following - i'm still worried it won't keep me in frame as well as Tarot 2D.

So everything seemed to work in my tests.  The DYS definitely eliminated yaw jitters, so I am happy with that.

Now I'm ready to move on to the next challenge - reducing vibration.  I don't know much about how to do that, but I've read a lot and it seems that the place to start is making sure your props are balanced.  Then making sure your motors are perfectly level.

The DYS gimbal did seem to reduce vibration compared to the Tarot 2D.  There was definitely some vibration, especially in higher winds, but it was nothing that can't be fixed with a very light amount of stabilization in Final Cut.   My first impression is that the vibration is much less on the DYS than the Tarot 2D - and I didn't get any instances of Jello, which I get pretty frequently with the Tarot 2D. 

I don't have any actual experience YET, but here is an alternative, a little cheaper and 80 g lighter:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... _etc_.html

An IRIS adapter is available here:
http://www.impconcepts.com/impstore/ind ... duct_id=86

Comments or experience would be appreciated!

Neither of those links are working for me.

RSS

© 2019   Created by Chris Anderson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service