3D Printed Mini MultiCopter

Just received my 3D printed frame back from Shapeways, and I thought I'd post up some picture in my Blog.  But, it's been taking a while for the moderators to update my blog.  So, here are some pictures, and an update.

Here's how the parts come, right off the presses(AA battery for size comparison):

3690906471?profile=original

Just to show how TREX 450 (12mm) tail booms will fit:

3690906386?profile=original

The frame weight with screws and nuts, work out to just 69.3g. But the 16 screws and nuts, weigh 26.2g.  So the frame itself actually weigh only 44.1g!

3690906602?profile=original

Here's the assembled frame in + configuration.  It was pretty quick build with the integrated arms.  Unfortunately, the 4" props are too small to lift it.  With the motors, and 1500mah battery, and some screws, it works out to just under 400 grams.

3690906497?profile=original

I've reconfigured it for X configuration,  using 6" props. Now I'm waiting on more props, and a new lighter, higher capacity battery from Hobbyking. Also ordered some 3-blade props, which will smaller for the surface area it takes up.

3689439552?profile=original

My assessment so far are the following:

1- Really happy with the print quality.

2- The Strong White and Flexible material is definitely strong enough for a frame.

3- These little propellers really need extra attention in balancing or else they cause crazy vibrations.

4- The APM/Oilpan combination is to big an heavy and bulky for a decent miniquad building.  The APM 2.0 should be a great for miniquads.  I'll probably be getting one, when then become mainstream, after ny bugs have been worked out of it.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I'm new here so my knowledge of weight vs power of motors is very small. How is the weight of the printed parts compare to the carbon fiber?

Also, if you need any more printed parts I know I can do a cheaper price than Shapeways. How much did they charge you for those parts?

My print resolution wouldn't be quite as fine but I can still easily do 0.25mm layers, possibly 0.1mm if I push it.

• This might save you some weight...

3692326473?profile=original

3692326146?profile=original

This reply was deleted.

Activity