3DR DIY 2014 Quad

Hi All,

I am somewhat of a novice so please bear with me.

I have assemble this drone as per instructions, bonded it to the transmitter, and have calibrated the "sticks" as per "Mission Planner" software.

I believe that I have calibrated the ESC's (following instructions from the APM Copter web-site).

The problem is that not all motors spin-up to maximum smoothly.

When increasing the throttle control, one of the motors appears to keeps stopping intermittently, it seems to be getting hotter than the other three motors, and I have noted a slight wisp of smoke.

One of the other motors is also showing similar characteristics, but not so markedly.

Question : is it a faulty motor, ESC, power distribution board or the Pixhawk flight controller that is causing the problem ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Arthur

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• btw ... noticing a slight wisp of smoke is never a good sign ..:(

• Thanks for the info. Johann. After conducting a series of tests I believe that the ESC's are faulty. I have since emailed 3DR and am waiting for a response.

• I think with an issue like that, I'd be emailing 3drobotics directly. 

• Hi "Clayton",

I have already emailed 3DRobotics and am waiting for a response, hence my post to see if anyone else had experienced a similar problem.

Meantime, I am contemplating swapping over the faulty motor / ESC combination for one of the others to eliminate the flight controller. If the controller proves OK, then by swapping the two respective ESC's should prove whether I actually have a faulty motor or a faulty ESC.

The only question then is - am I likely to damage the good motor &/or good ESC ?

• I had the same issue. What ESCs are you using?

In my case there was two problems 

1. The ESCs were programmed for LIPO and no NMxx. Although I fly with Lipos, 3DRs site says you must set the ESCs to NMxx. Doing this helped a lot but did not sort out one of my motors completely. 

2. I then checked each of the ESC's programming and found that 1 was programmed slightly different to the other 3. I then went through the process of making sure the programming settings on al 4 ESCs were identical.

I then calibrated each of the ESC manually on their own and after that I calibrated them all together using the APM's calibration mode. 

Hope this helps

This resolved the issue with on motor spinning slower and then stopping. 

This reply was deleted.

Activity