3DR IRIS RGB Lightpipe

I don't know about most IRIS owners but the external status LED that is located on the bottom of the battery compartment is a bit hard to see before launch. I decided to implement an idea to view the status LED from the top of the shell.

I drilled a hole in the top shell directly above the controller's RGB window and used a section of small hot glue stick as a light pipe. As you can see, it works nicely. Of course the glue stick was for proof of concept only. I have some 6mm light pipe coming for a permanent install.

3691079651?profile=original

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hmm...I have my Iris opened up and I'm not seeing what light this would pick up that would show the same status as the light that is at the bottom of the battery door.  The only light I see are those on the GPS board and on the pixhawk, but none of those seem to match the status light at the battery  door.  Here is a picture showing what my Iris has...none of the lights shown match the status light of the battery door.  Where I have the red arrow appears that this would be directly under your light pipe.  On my Pixhawk, this does not show any light...so, I'm wondering if this window should show a status light???  Does yours?  If not, what is the light pipe picking up to show the status?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mqvkhkjw6avth82/20131124_142527.jpg

• Nice bodge!

• Developer

Very nice!

• Very Cool Bruce!

This reply was deleted.

Activity