3DR PM, PDB, APM2.5 and jumper jp1 question

I've a 3DR hexacopter, new. 

It has the PM (Power Module), the PDB (Power Distribution Board) and an APM2.5 with no jumper on jp1.

Online, I've found some instructions telling me that when using the PM, one is to leave jp1 unjumpered, and to plug in the +5v coming from the PDB.

Is this correct?

Yesterday, I USB'd into the APM2.5, and downloaded 2.81 firmware.  So I know it's alive - so far.  Don't want to plug things in incorrectly.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Developer

A doubt: there's only one +/- wire that feeds APM2.5 via the cable supplied with the Power Module?
    In this case I'm a little hesitant, because in all my setup i use a redundancy on power as a matter of safety, in 25 years I never crashed a model "double powered" for power problem.

I haven't check the schematic, there's six wire, i hope 2 wire for + and 2 for -, the other two for current and voltage data.
    In all my drones i use two 6V voltage regulator for power the flight board, with two 5A diode connected with the positive (5.3V to the board), or two BEC with protected input.

There's way to connect the PM without power APM with the internal 5.3V regulator and still detect voltage and current?
    I am sure the reliability of the module, but I prefer to use my power system, as it's redundant.

• MR60

Thx a lot Bill and Stephen for an excellent schematics, this should be put on the wiki as base documentation to understand the power circuits in Arducopter, this is now perfectly clear.

• 3D Robotics

Good points about the confusing text -- thanks to everyone who pointed this out. We'll clean that up over the next few days. 

In general, most Copter users should leave APM 2.5+ just the way they got it, with the jumper off. 

• MR60

Hello,

I just finished assembling the 3DR kit for Quad Arducopter and has the same questionning. The documentation for using the 3DR power module on one hand and the page on optional additions (voltage and current sensors) are not clear at all.

There is the paragraph that I do not understand clearly :

"..It's also possible to power APM 2.5 from two separate sources, one powering the RC system on the input side, and the other powering the output side (servos or ESCs). This is determined by a jumper on the JP1 pins (see below). If the jumper is on, which is the factory default, the board is powered from the Output rail or the USB. If the jumper is off, the board is powered from the Input rail, but the Output rail will need its own power source. This configuration is used if you want to have two separate power sources in your aircraft, one powering the servos and the other powering the electronics. The ideal input voltage is 5.37v +/-0.0v and may not be provided by a typical ESC."

As I use the Power Module I was forced to remove the JP1 off the APM2.5. Then I understand according to this copied parapgraph that I would need a second battery to power the R/C ? (while the first one only power the motors through the power module connected to the PDB) Is this correct understanding or not ?

Thx for help

This reply was deleted.

Activity