3DR telemetry no longer supported by 3DR....options?

I have been using the 915mhz telemetry v2 units with my Pixhawk for a while now.  One of them is not giving the range that it used to and I need a replacement.

I varified the range with the use of my Fighting Walrus iDrone Link and one unit is getting about 100m range while the other is getting good signal to where my hexacopter is just a spec in the distance.

Problem 1:

I can not get hold of Fighting Walrus any more.  They have not answered my emails since about October of 2015.  I am assuming they are no longer active? (also no updates to their iOS app for almost a year)

Problem 2:

3DR are no longer making their 900 or 433 telemetry units. (verified vie an email to them)

"Hello Justin,

Thank you for contacting 3DRobotics customer service.

We apologize for the inconvenience. Unfortunately, we do not have the Telemetry available anymore since they have been discontinued, both the 915 and 433."

I am using a Nexus 7 v2 Tablet with the Tower App (great app by the way)

Question:

Other than the $250 long range 900mhz kits (I don't need/am not allowed to use super long range) or $10 knock 3DR off kits from China (gamble as to whether you get a good one/no warranty), what options are there that are "PnP" ?

I am using a Taranis Plus TX with x8r RX and could use that telemetry but then there is no way to load missions in the field.

Thanks for input

J

Views: 15506

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Nope.. That won't work on those 3DR radios as their Si1000 CPU just don't have enough power to do encryption. That's why Seppo changed CPU on our RDxxxx modems to provide enough computing power to make encryption.

Again HopeRF HM-TRP module (eg. original 3DR modems or their copies) based modes won't allow to do encryption. Sure you can have a bit shifting or similar simple thing but that is not encryption.

I am not fully sure about this guy but I have rather strong feeling that he is violating Tridges SiK firmware licenses as I don't think that this guy wrote whole firmware from scratch...

Definitely can be the case.  I had a laptop where I got low range from the radios. I thought all my radios were bad.  But then I heard about this, and now using a different computer, much better.

Thx for information....it would be nice if Tridge can offer us similar firmware

Are the newer RF900 radio's still 1 watt? If so does the current versions of mission planner allow you to set it to 1 watt do you know? Thx

If anyone is in a bind and wanting authentic 3DR V2 900 MHz radios, I have some spare sets that I'm willing to part with.  These are radio pairs, purchased from 3DR - 2 radios with cables and antennas, still in their original packaging, unopened.  The cost is $100, same as I paid, plus $7 for Priority Mail within the lower 48. PayPal preferred.

Message me if you want a set.

-Don

Yes they are but default setting is on around 0.5W. And you can change that power level from MissionPlanner directly. Just go on 3DR modem settings and put maximum power.

Jani,

would it be possible to use an RC Tx as a "joystick" to control the UAVs using these modems. Essentially removing the need to have both telemetry radios and an rc Tx?

Thanks

Yes that is possible too but currently we don't support it that way. Why? As most of RC TXes don't output anything else but PPM signal and currently RFDs cannot take PPM signaling in. There has been plans with Seppo to make one adapter board that could do this.

BUT you can fly with a real joystick. I made first joystick flights already on 2011 and that was done with Xbee telemetries and early stage ArduCopter firmware. Now with RFDs we can go a lot longer distances and MissionPlanner/ArduCopter software has evolved tons since this flight so it's a lot easier now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEDjRcjrn7w  Link to my old test vid.. Note too aggressive throttle operation but hey.. it's about 5 years ago ;)

Making RC TX control needs just some coding on the RCTX software (for example FrSky Taranis radios or OpenTX radios)

could THESE be used as an alternative?

we all buy excellent GPS from CSG Shop,

http://www.csgshop.com/product.php?id_product=215

i guess its time for radio too....

http://www.csgshop.com/product.php?id_product=213

if you need Power Module (one that can measure above 70A(200A)and 6-12S you can order here 

http://www.mauch-electronic.com/apps/webstore/products

if you need OSD 

http://www.satxo.com/

Ahmed,

I agree.  I don't think that anyone would even want to hijack my hex.  What would it gain the hijacker?

J

I've been thinking about this a bit more since my original post. If I can't buy 3DR genuine accessories from 3DR any more and I can get a clone Pixhawk with all the trimmings for under $200 on eBay, why would I even consider 3DR any more?
I'll tell you why, Chris Anderson, because I want quality. I don't want my $2000 Hex, $900 gimbal and $2500 camera going down due to shitty quality Chinese clones.
I hope 3DR reconsider their position on DIY parts or DJI might get more of their business.

J

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Season Two of the Trust Time Trial (T3) Contest 
A list of all T3 contests is here. The current round, the Vertical Horizontal one, is here

© 2019   Created by Chris Anderson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service