3DRobotics temporarily stops shipments outside of US and Canada

Hi,

I have received the following email from 3DRobotics last night, my Iris quadocopter was already in France, at Fedex office for a delivery at home on monday. 3DRobotics say they cancel my order and will refund me, rhis mean they will ask Fedex to send back to product to the US, why such a decision for all customers ? Why cancelling a shipement when the parcel is nearly at your home ?

Here is the email I have received from 3DR

************************************************************************************************

Thanks for your order with 3DR. We're writing to let you know that, due to a temporary change in our shipping policies, we're unable to ship orders outside of the US and Canada. We'll be cancelling and refunding your order immediately. We're very sorry for the inconvenience, and we'll let you know when we can resume shipments to your country.

If you have any questions or would like to make modifications to your order, write to us at help@3drobotics.com or call our support line at +1 (858) 225-1414, Monday through Friday, 8 am to 5 pm PST.

Sincerely,

The 3DR Team

Views: 50005

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

3DR is based in San Diego, California, US. Manufactures mostly in Mexico, using parts from China and other places worldwide. So your suggestion helps exactly how?

their problem is being based in the US. So long as they're US citizens working in the US, they're screwed. They need to totally separate their civilian drone division and have it wholly incorporated outside the US. Just another example of  US protectionism screwing them over.

How do you think HK does it:

By 50000mah worth of batteries, ship them EMS to Switzerland, and then to the US (better yet Mexico due to NAFTA), viola, laxed export rules and you get them in 6 days...

FYI, I'm sure MK, Autoquad, AscTec and other EU companies are somewhat ignoring the rules, but I know I had do stuff for the VRBrain team as they fell in Italy export regs problem.

thank you. You should probably look at relocating critical components of your business outside the US if possible as this is the kind of thing that could trigger a fork and offshore competitors might steal your market share.

We should stock all of the open source materials it is likely possible that us gov. can prevent them to download. 

Seriously... The comment from Vu says 3DR will have an answer soon. I would think some reflection on your own posts are needed. Unless you have real experience of paper work involved to export products from the US (and in this case countries who work under the NAFTA trade agreement, who are Mexico,US & Canada)

You've sold me, and I'm not even in the USA.

Oh, and don't forget the saxamophone...

I'm sold.  Belgium definitely sounds like the place to be!

>is based in San Diego, California 

that's the problem right there, it makes them vulnerable to the vagaries of the US Government. If they were based in, say, Hong Kong or Panama, then they wouldn't require State Department (or other..) approval, and they wouldn't be bound by NDAAs.

US is the problem. they should be based outside the US so they aren't bound by US export restrictions.

I don't have that experience, but I do have a lot of paranoia about the US Government stifling free enterprise to maintain it's security. I'm glad Vu has commented on here, but why else do you think they would have to cease exports and maintain such silence? this is killing their business, there's no way they would do it unless they were compelled to.

thank you, great link.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2019   Created by Chris Anderson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service