Hey everyone! I'm new here but I've been reading/researching around this site and its forums for weeks. I've learned a lot and tried to read about everything I could before posting my own questions. But there are some things/ideas I'd love to have some insight on!
Last year I went para-sailing and thought it was awesome how you could see the huge schools of fish, groups on sting rays, etc down in the ocean. I have a huge interest in marine life! Once I came across this site, I remembered my para-sailing trip. I want to build a drone that I could fly over the ocean and look down at everything in the ocean! I've read posts here by other people talking about flying over the ocean shark hunting/lifeguarding/search and rescue/etc. But they didn't answer all of my questions and they needed very long flight times. I want an airplane platform, not a copter. I read here somewhere that average flight time is around 30 mins. So,
1) is a 6-7 flight time possible? the previous topic I read about ocean flying was a guy wanting 15 hours flight time. They acted like it was possible, but very difficult. They told him he would need a plane with about a 16 foot wingspan and 2 gas motors with a gallon tank. What could I use/what would be best for 6-7 hour flight time? How big would the plane have to be?
2) is an electric motor completely out of the question for something like this?
3) what size motor(s) would I need/what size gas tank?
4) do they sell kits that are this big? that are modify-able (to make a UAV)? Or am I gonna have to build plane from scratch?
5) will these planes handle beach wind? I haven't really seen this discussed but it can get very windy at the beach. Last thing I want is a thousand dollar drone crashing into the ocean.
6) Is it legal? to fly over ocean water at a beach? Do you have to get some sort of special permission to fly there? Because there are lots of para-sailing boats around this ocean. As long as I stay away from them, and stay under certain altitude, can I fly where I want? or does this depend on city?
I want to take pictures of the marine life, but I will get to this/decide how to do this later. Right now I just want to know if 6-7 hour flight time is possible in wind, what kind of engine/what size plane to use, and if its illegal.
If any of this has been discussed before, and I just couldn't find it, feel free to paste the link. Thanks!!!!!