I have just bought the ArduPilot Mega 2560 Full Kit... plus the Triple Axis Magnetometer HMC5883L. I should have it built over the weekend.. then i'm off to a my mates machine shop, and i'll make the splitter plate for the lower frame onto which i am going to fit the Ardupilot. the magnetometer i'll put on the tail as suggested. I am going to use my X-cell Razor 600E. For those that dont know its around the 50 size nitro heli.

Do i need to buy any other sensors i.e. the Sonar... i can fly a helicopter all day long but this is my first time flying one with stabilisation so any tips would be gratefully appreciated.

If this works well then i am going to try and use it on my x-cell gasser. i can get up to 20 minute flights with this. But i think for the time being a battery 600 is the way to go.

i'll post some pictures when i have it all together.

Setup Instructions

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Woah!!! 
    Rob_Lefebvre said:

I have just started this thread:

http://www.diydrones.com/forum/topics/arducopter-2-9-for-tradheli-d...

I would like to try and segment the Trad Helis discussions a bit since this monster thread has become a bit unwieldy and makes it harder for people to find info.  So please carry on any discussion about 2.9 over there.

• I NEED HELP SO BAD!

I'm so confused because I downloaded file APK so that I can enjoy the game I like without feeling nervous of being regional blocked, BUT...after I finished downloading, I'm stuck in finding it in my phonne?

Can you tell me?

By the way, I want to find something that prevents me from being regional blocked by Google play?

Recommend me, ok?

• Developer

Happy new year.

2.9 is getting close to being released.  It would be great to get some more trad heli people trying it out before we push it to the mission planner.  The discussions can be found at the end of the ArduCopter 2.8.1 release thread.

• Strange. Loiter does not work anymore. Last 4 flights loiter ended up as it always did in the past. Overcorrections and circles. Absolutely unstable.

I am curious what happened. I did not change much recently.

Played around with the alt hold PIDs and activated the attitude_med logging.

That's more or less all. Since that loiter does not work and I do not get any logs.

Very interesting behaviour. I will do some more tests, hoping to find the root cause, why the loiter behaviour got that bad.

• Hey guys, I've been holding out on you a few days.  I filmed some cool stuff on Monday, planning to do a comparison between a quad and a heli in a stiff breeze, put it in a blog posting.  But frankly the quad flight is so bad that it'll just make people sick. ;)

So here you go, check it out:

• Hello ! every one. I had been working on mounting the APM2 to my Trex 450 since last month, and gain
    much help from this forum. This's my first time to post message here.
    The video is what I performed the loiter mode (00:00:38 ~ 00:04:30) this week ,and it's seem to be successful ,although I just wonder if possible to tune the parameter for better stable.

• Obervations re loiter PID tuning via CH6

loiter rate I term. Could not notice any effect. Range from 0 - 1.5

loiter rate d term. loiter seems to be slightly better at higher values around 1.5

loiter rate P. Between 5 and 6

• Nice try to shoot a video of navigation.

Right after switching from loiter to navigation, the motor was cut for a sec or even less. Heli started doing strange things, so I decided to throw my mobile away...

Unfortunately I was standing on hard ground not on grass. Mobile survived...

On the vid it does not look as severe as I felt it in real live, I mean the engine problem, which scared me.

• What happens at the end of a mission? Last command I used loiter for 60 secs but the heli does strange things. Looks like it wants to land our at least decrease height.
  • Does anyone know how to do CH6 tuning for loiter.

To make the new value effective after changing the CH6 signal, do I need to switch out of loiter and back in, or should the CH6 tuning be continuously effective without jumping out/in of loiter?

My feeling is that the changes are only realized by the algorithms when switching out of loiter and back in.

Edit: On the MP I see that my CH6 works, because I can see the tuning values changing by refreshing the parameters. But when actually do the new values become effective in the PID loops?

This reply was deleted.

Activity