6s charging solutions

Hi

Im running 6s 8000ma lipos.. these can be charged at upto 5c ie 5x8000 = 40amp @ 22.2 v

I would like to be charging 2 at a time and if possible 4.. 

Any one with a creative way to do this?

I was thinking of using server psu's for the dc input but not sure of the best ones/s to do this and whats my options for a charger?

Upuntil nowi have been using a 10amp mains charger..

Thanks in advance

m

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• There is a lot of good info, im not go for the full 40amp.i have found a used Fusion Emperor L702B Pro Twin Output Charger Twin 300W  (20amp) at about £80 off normail retail price..  im goingto power it wilth 2 dell 2950 700w power supplies.. i think they shoud be ok torun the Fusion..I have these so there is no cost here.. but they are on ebay for under £20 each.. So when its finished i have 40A charger and psu for less than a good big 6s lipo! 

Anyone thinking of doing a psu conversion this is a good link:- HERE

• EDIT: I did not see the replies below, and had already typed this out so I will still post it, but .... yea what those guys said EDIT

If you want to charge those lipos at 5c then you will need a charger of at least 22.2*8*5= 888 watts output.  I think you would be realistically looking at a chargers that are in the 1000 watt range.  This is quite a charger to be sure, and will cost you several hundred US dollars.  Feeding those chargers also takes somewhere in the area of 18 to 24v which means you will have to either pay a lot, hack together two server power supplies, or pay someone to do it for you.  All of this to only charge one battery, 2 of them at 5c would be about 1800 watts, I have not heard of a charger that will do that much.

Your batteries will last longer if you do not charge at 5c, a 1c charge is still the best for them, if you are out in the field and really need to get in another flight go for 5c, but for normal charging just stay at 1c.  The time spent charging is not linearly decreased anyway, a 1c charge takes say an hour, a 2c charge is 45min. 5c is maybe 30 min.  The time spent in constant voltage mode at the end of the charge doesn't change as you increase in charge current.  If you really need to fly more often I would buy more batteries rather than try to charge those batteries at those rates.  I just ordered a hitec x2 ultima 2x200w charger myself.

If you still want chargers that big look at powerlab and fma chargers.

• Can you please share your thoughts/experience on using  re-purposed server power supplies?

For example:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/iCharger-306B-1000w-1s-6s-Lipo-Life-Pb-Char...

• To be honest, the best way is to get yourself a nice big DC battery, these you can draw large ammounts of current from. Just means they also require charging but i can guarantee you wont get any charge rates from a power supply as you would from a battery!
This reply was deleted.

Activity