I have noticed lots of emphasis on electronics/autopilots/cameras...etc. and that is great..... But where are all the airframe ideas/designs? What about current airworthy projects? Test flights? Videos? Pictures? Thoughts? There are 465 members (and growing daily) So one would think there would be a plethora of Ideas and projects being broadcast. Especially on the only website that is specifically for the DIY UAV enthusiast. Even if all you have is an Idea, or need help/advice, whatever it may be...Lets hear about it.

Views: 268

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My airframe is a Thunder Tiger Raptor v2 30 Heli
Hey, it's winter! That's the time to solder boards and get ready for flying in spring ;-)

But I'm glad you raised this, since it is indeed a topic area that we haven't given as much weight (in part because there are so many ARFs and RTFs out there that are "good enough" already, so it feels a bit like a solved problem).

The one thing that I would love is for someone to build a kit or ARF of the classic mid-80s Pioneer UAV. It's a great candidate for foam and carbon fiber rods, or fiberglass and carbon rods. Anybody seen anything that looks like this?

Funny you mention that Chris! I modeled my first MRASV airframe off the pioneer design. It was pieced together from various model components I had around the house as well as carbon arrow rods w/ custom mounts for the rods on the wing and tail. It flew great until a combo of being underpowered and wind gust took 'er down.
Hey, is that an Aerobird Extreme wing? I've got one of those hanging around! Any chance you can CNC up another fuselage with a lot of interior room? I promise to power it right ;-)
It most definately is an Aerobird Xtreme wing. I wish I could, but unfortunately I have moved on and devoted all my time to the MRASV-3 !
This might be a bit unconventional but I use Core-Cell and Fibreglass to build my planes. It is extreemly easy to use and produces a very robust yet light frame. On the good side if you crash and burn the plane is simply fixed and ready to go the next day.

Core-Cell is a boat building material that is used as a sandwich material between the hull and other places that need light weight and strength. This material comes in large sheets that you can copy your design directly on the Core-Cell sheet then just cut it with an exacto knife. Putting together the peices is really easy as is sanding it to the correct shape.

Once you have the peices together all it takes is a cover of light fibreglass fabric to seal everything together.
I think I am going to give a go at creating an airframe with modularity and the probable 4 pound limit in mind. I'll start up a design blog within the next few weeks.
Being modular is a good idea as you can swap parts out quickly. Given your 4 pound limit your airframe can be large if using Core-Cell. Another thought to reduce weight is to use Flexinol or Muscle wire instead of some servos.

My first project was a homemade glider that suffered a little wing damage when a tree came and crossed its path. I thought for sure that I would be rebuilding a new one. After a bit of patch work with the fibreglass and resin it was ready to go the next day.

My son's and I built an Brushless R/C speed boat hull at 38"x10"x8" and it weighs just over a pound Given that my boys are young (11 and 8) and having fun they never the less abused this boat around all summer and it never needed repairs. Which reminds me of thinking of putting a GPS in it so it can do circuits on its own.

What kind of airframe are you going to build?
too much wind and rain here in washington . I have 2 projects ready for testing #1; moved picopilot to an easy glider. #2 chris's stamp ap in a slowstick. have done some driving tests looks good. BTW i grew up building ff rubber powered planes and got into rc in my late 20s always loved kits and a few scratch designes of my own and am presently employed hand building very large uavs.yes i undrstand its a dieing breed but their are still a few of us left. the best thing any of us can do is to pass it on to the next gen.
Wayne,

That reminds me. If you've updated your code from the versions I posted at the link below, can you send me the latest files, so I can update them on this site? In particular, I'm wondering if you had to reset serial settings between calling the servo driver and the GPS.

http://diydrones.ning.com/profiles/blog/show?id=705844%3ABlogPost%3...
I think your dying breed is being brought back and into mainstream. From what I can tell, most aeronautical engineers learn how to build large aircraft, not small. I can already tell that designing a small stable aircraft is harder than a large one. Also, in reply to the weight issue, the on-board cameras are going to suck a large mount of weight, especially if you want something with decent zoom capabilities. I am thinking of a 12X optical/ 8 mega pixel camera in a future design. Those alone weigh half a pound easily. But yes, I was thinking of using something like Core-Cell.
chris ,
havnt made any update . just to clarify ,the serout commands syntax "SEROUT Tpin {\Fpin}, Baudmode, {Pace,} {Timeout, Tlabel,} [OutputData]" . baudmode is set at each individual serout command. so, the stamp can actually run with sevral baudmodes at the same time.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Season Two of the Trust Time Trial (T3) Contest 
A list of all T3 contests is here. The current round, the Vertical Horizontal one, is here

© 2019   Created by Chris Anderson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service