We looked at this issue recently in UAV Swarm...
But this proposal, as well as many others, involve broadcasting the route of all planes in clear text. Surely, that is a bad idea.
So I've rethought my Swarm protocol to "obscure" the actual location, and instead use general locations with more accurate locations provided as needed.
I wondered if anyone had any thoughts on how a location-obscured protocol could be functional?
1. Broadcast rough location and route.
2. Identify possible congestion based on rough locations
3. Attempt to resolve congestion in "safe mode".
4. If still congested - determine friend or foe.
5. if friend, negotiate Cipher and send more accurate location - if foe, then increase location obfuscation - raise pilot alert.
Friend or foe may be also be able or disabled - maneuverable or less maneuverable.
FOF may be resolved passively, by comparing route adjustments, if a plane increases its proximity to "your" projection, that plane is a problem for you, and should be avoided.
Other ideas: Smaller planes send more accurate location.
Any other ideas?
Is obfuscation important?