Hi Guys,

Could you give me some impressions about the GCS you use? If you can answer these questions for me, it will be very helpful:

- What is your drones’ usage?

- Which GCS do you use and why?

- What are the main features you use?

- What are the best and the worst experience using the Ground Control you had?

Thank you

What is your drones’ usage?

Which GCS do you use and why?

What are the main features you use?

What are the best and the worst experience using the Ground Control you had?

Views: 13286

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

im using MP but not to much happy ;-) so i decide make new GSC ;-) is now in very early state, but going front ;-)

so i please all users, please watch our discusion and please write me some your opinion ;-)  Every opinion will help us make it better ;-)

http://diydrones.com/forum/topics/wod-mavlink-ground-station?commen...

now we finished alfa version of HUD system, so i will reraly aprisiate opinions on that ;-)

Hi Guys!

- What is your drones’ usage?

Developmet platform for AI

- Which GCS do you use and why?

Proprietary.

1. Because of custom radio protocol

2. We need to implement new functions quickly and with easy

3. Special monitoring functions for development and working with black box. Also it initially developed for HIL and SIL flight research in conjuction with simulator.

- What are the main features you use?

Here is example of pilot screen:

Usual engine, speed, attitude and altitude indications (two small gauges at bottom eng RPM, big one is airspeed, and at right of attitude indicator there is altitude situation). Battery, fuel and signal strength. Battery and fuel also shows how many flight time remain on each of them.

Time indication: UTC, local, time from eng start, ETA to current target

There is misc warning information blinkers, operator must know at what state of AI currently, it decission and intentions. They all offline, just one there (green one at middle), indicating that engine never started. Also there is information line at upper part at which GCS posts important info (currently it shows which passbook used for radio encryption)

There is typical and emergency commands (buttons at right, they nearly not on screenshot), like "return home now" or "abort landing".

Button on left changes modes of operation, like with google earth or without, waypoint planner mode or normal etc.

Also, because all system designed as multidrone control, currently selected one is indicated (number "2")

There is monitoring system, that shows "on paper roll" all major parameters. See below example (there is case when system lost speed and because of it stability and then regain it. Numbers in shadow - seconds):

Well, thats all.

Worst part of it is design. Not good for reading above google earth, but it is just prototype, in final this will be corrected.

Good comments so far. I agree with Bill Bonney further back that most GCSs are too monolithic. Most of the time you need tuning when setting up a new drone, but after that good mission control and setup is more important. Log analysis may be a third application.

For me I use both fixed wing and multirotors, mainly for survey work with a little FPV mixed in.

I use mission planner for setup, tuning and configuration because it simply does everything. I use my own android based CloudRaven GCS for flight ops because it's simple to use and gets me flying very quickly.

Main features of mission planner I use are the parameters page and log replay and analysis.

On CloudRaven it's mission creation, flight monitoring and post flight geotagging which is all super easy. Also when used with a smart camera, the inflight image download is good.

Best thing about mission planner is it does everything, it's the swiss army knife of GCSs, worst is the general stability and the fact that each new release is two steps forward, one step back with regards to bugs.

For CloudRaven, it suits my and my customers needs well but I'm biased :-). Downside is developing it consumes huge amounts of my time.

im sorry that i write again ;-) but i see that everyone put pictures and i dont made it :D my appologise for thread owner ;-)

So: we make now NEW GSC software WOD GSC. WOD is project what will present later , but even with out WOD this software will realy usefull . now we are in stage when we will happy for EVERY IDEAS and INVENTIONS ;-)

so its great time to every one , say hims wishs in this level of develope. So please, EVERYONE who miss some features in other GSC softwares, just let us know in our thread ;-) we will check if is possible ipmplant it in frame of our target.

our GSC is concentrate to FPV but will also FULL WORKING without fpv equipment, and in the plan ( thanks to one local user ) is also synthetic vision . so even drones with out FPV equipment will able FPV flying ;-) so please EVERYONE who think that got some idea, COME ON, every idea is welcome ;-) 

http://diydrones.com/forum/topics/wod-mavlink-ground-station?commen...

PS: sorry for 78% in empty line :D i just make screen shot in testing loop ;-)

If you're buying for Verizon, go and get the LG VK815. Great 8" tablet. $90 with a contract. Has micro AND full size USB, and has a stylus. Oh, and removable storage.

You can run power while you've got radio plugged in. Awesome.

GCS is one of the hard impressions,I haven't worked out through this

I fly quads, but now it is more planes. Hobbyist.

Used Tower on 7" Android, but since my tablet did not have Serial drivers, I could not connect 3DR radio. So solution was to use 2x Air radio, the ground radio connected to either HC-05 Bluetooth, or ESP-01 Wifi Module for connectivity from tablet to 3DR radio (Chinese clones). The ESP-01 had the advantage that I could use MAV Pilot on iPhone as well.

Main purpose was TLOG recording. And hopefully being able to locate a downed plane if this was to happen.

Just got a small Windows 10 tablet, 1GB RAM for free with another purchase. Installed mission planner on it, and it might become my new ground station of choice. Windows without mouse is still not the best. Will try the other options like QGroundControl which seems to give more screen space to mission planning.

Next plan is to use my OrangeRx 433MHz radios, ULRS, to have full 433MHz control and mavlink (19200bps down). Immersive FPV is not there yet, and that would not be a ground control task. Been flying with a monitor and telemetry (minimOSD) and this works fine.

I see more users doing click-flying, and thermal hunting. This is something I will try out. Still new in this, so lots to learn.

I use UgCS and it is in my opinion the best free software. You will always find a drone not supported by a your GCS but that is the best one I have found in my research.

UgCs seems like have a really good UI interface and functionality, I will check it out

At Alpha Unmanned Systems we develop our own GCS from the G-case, G-track to the Power Board to control the generator as a back-up battery system or the Power & Communications Module for digital data link, engine monitoring, power management and distribution and enegine telemetry.

Any doubts or comments visit our web www.alphaunmannedsystems.com or social networks.

You can also email us to info@alphaunmanedsystems.com and we will be glad to respond your doubts.

Attachments:

I would also like to share a couple of videos of our platform software, Visionair. Really easy to use and with many functionalities.

SNIPER simulated mission: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wKk6bVv8-k

How to prepare a flight plan: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=653Umf3Knrc

this is my workflow to do aerial mapping using UAV, please advice for better result.

https://sigitriyanto.wordpress.com/2016/10/23/workflow-uav-mapping/

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Season Two of the Trust Time Trial (T3) Contest 
A list of all T3 contests is here. The current round, the Vertical Horizontal one, is here

© 2018   Created by Chris Anderson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service