Accessing Waypoints directly from pixhawk

Hi everyone,Im currently writing a program that compares the drone's current location coordinates with the waypoints coordinates so once they match a script is executed. My question is how do i access those waypoints that were loaded to the pixhawk via a GCS, is there a topic i can subscribe to that contains these?

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi Chris,

That's exactly what i was looking for originally. In the hopes that you have done this before, i got three questions i hope you could answer

1)In Script.sendRC, when is the value sent when the "sendnow" boolean is false?

2)Can i somehow check the connection between the drone and the GCS? I know that there are failsafe parameters regarding that specific comm with predefine instructions on what to do according to the value set in case the signal is lost for 5 Secs or more, but what if i want to define my own set of instruction on what to do when that comm is lost?

3)Can i inject waypoints via script? I saw an example that imported mission planner utilities i think? In order to do this But i cant find the library anywhere.

Thanks in advance!
  • 3D Robotics

To answer the question, yes GCSs are scriptable. Here's how to script Mission Planner with Python:

http://ardupilot.org/planner/docs/using-python-scripts-in-mission-p...

Using Python Scripts in Mission Planner — Mission Planner documentation
  • One more thing, thank you for helping me out! I've asked around other places and you are the first person to answer me hahaha.
  • I dont think my original reply went through,

Anyhow, im not at home right now so i'll have to check the links later, this seems promising, Asim. I did a quick search on Ardu Pilot but im not 100% clear with what it exactly is, can you elaborate real quick on it? It's not a GCS that much i figured.
  • Exactly, "Your software that monitors the current location of the drone will use the predefined lat and long positions (which are basically the way point starting point prestored in PixHawk) as the software trigger to kick in the Auto Mode". Now i'm wondering if you known of a way to access these predefined positions in the pixhawk via uORB code?

I also have one more question but its regarding Ground control stations as i'm rather new to this. I know they monitor the position of the drone at a all times, and allow you to set the flight mode and even send "Messages" to the drone. Are they in any way programmable? automizing the GCS via scripting might be more efficient. For example once it reaches x way point position, ill tell the GCS to switch from "AUTO" to flight mode "HOLD", since this is similar to what im trying to do but i'm doing it within the PIXHAWK.

I've read about MAVLINK protocol and it may be a better option than the PIXHAWK's uOrb communication API, but i just havn't seen any proper documentation regarding the code side of it and im sort of lost in properly understading it.

Thanks! And it's not a thesis per say but an essential part of a research collaboration with MIT lincoln labs and other engineers.
  • Hi Asim,

Thanks for commenting and sorry for the late reply. Im not sure i quite understood the question so First thing first, this is strictly software. Two apps are going to be uploaded to the FC(PIXHAWK). Im writing an app(via uORB messaging in c++) that monitors the current location of the drone so that when its location matches that of the waypoint's, the drone stops and executes the other App, but for this i need to access the waypoints coordinates that were uploaded to the pixhawk, is this possible to do via code?
This reply was deleted.

Activity