Adding to bluetooth to 3DR ground radio

Wanted to post some pics of my 3DR radio with Bluetooth.  I am very pleased with the outcome. 

I started off with a pair of Ebay 3DR radios, burned those up the first night of testing, and ordered another set. Ultimately learning a lot along the way.  What I have assembled is a 3DR ground radio, a HC-05 Bluetooth module, a constant voltage power supply, a power pack from recycled cell phone batteries and a voltage meter all nestled in an old plastic playing card case. 

If you don't like reading here is a video walk thru.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Starting with the battery, it is two Li-ion cellphone batteries in series.  I even took the time to add a balancing plug, scavenged from another worn out pack, and what I have is a 2S 1300mah battery.  I will say, the internal protection circuits seem to mess with the charger somewhat and the charge rate drops off fairly quickly, but it should last all day.  Next I added a constant voltage power supply that will accept up to 30 volts, adjusted to output 5 volts.  With this I should be able to use any 2 cell or better battery that I have laying around to power to everything.  On the input I added a voltage meter to monitor my overall charge level.  On the output is an led so that I know the CV power supply is working.  Then the Bluetooth module is wire directly to the power supply, with a 3mm LED on it status pin, so that I know when I have an active connection to the BT module.  Lastly the radio is connected with a plug to the pins on the BT module so that I can still unplug the radio and use it in a computer via USB if needed.

3702147176?profile=original

Connecting the the data wires to the radio was tricky since the radios I used are on integrated board with the serial converter.  But after doing some inspection I was able to find a decent tap point.  The radio with a breakout board should be much easier. 

3702147273?profile=original3702146846?profile=original

Word of advice, if you attempt to tap the circuit board like I did, make sure you securely attach the wires to the board.  If you don't, manipulating the wires can rip the copper traces clean off the circuit board. Ask me how I know!

The only thing left is to get Mission planner to open my BT COM port.  The 3DR radio program works great, and my tablet works great.

This reply was deleted.

Activity